Seeking Advice: How to be a strong EM Residency candidate for top programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigData_MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know, I know, "this guy wants to go into EM? Yikes." Well, turns out that I appreciate the specialty, the breadth of skills that come with it, and the large variety of patients that come in. Well anyhow, that digression aside, for the seasoned medical students/residents you guys have any advice (and not hearsay, echo-chamber comments)? I am looking to get some lived experience advice.

I am an M2, I've got a pretty decent amount of meaningful volunteering. I also have some teaching experience (clinical anatomy summer of M1/2, and Med Spanish for med students, ongoing). I am going to be part of building portions of my SOM's anatomy curriculum, stuff focusing on Ultra Sound. Is research even "impressive" for EM? Asking because I have none of it. Hobbies: auto repair (yes, I fix cars. Skills I developed from my modest past life), gravel/urban cycling, and cross-country running.

Actual advice is very much appreciated, cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As I posted this, I found this link... is this still relevant?

EM is down-trending in competitiveness atm. Last year there were something like 500 spots unmatched. It probably will be the same this year, whose to say in the next 2 years when you apply. Could be up by then, could still be down. If it's how it is now, EM is moderately competitive. All they care about is how you do on your home and/or away EM clerkships. The SLOEs are everything.

Research is less important. If you really want to outshine, consider getting in on some EM-related projects. Maybe that's research, maybe it's QI or education. Get in with some of the EM folks at your home program and get their advice. "Top programs" is kind of a pointless statement. Think about what kind of training you would want and you'll gear your application towards those. Academic or community? 3 or 4 year program? Thinking about fellowship? Urban or rural? Any subspecialty interests? You'll get a good training at vast majority of programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As I posted this, I found this link... is this still relevant?
Not in EM, but I would assume this is still true, as it was years ago - SLOEs, CV, and interview trump all else.

As you are aware, EM has plummeted competitiveness due to multiple factors, in particular a huge increase in the number of spots. Unclear what will happen in the coming years, and how this affects what you would consider "top" programs, but that also depends on how you define "top." Are you specifically looking for a four-year program with a plan to do fellowship/enter academics? Etc.

Might try posting this in EM forum.

Are you specifically looking for a four-year program with a plan to do fellowship/enter academics?
Nay, on the academics... I've lived enough to know that isn't for me. Maybe a fellowship. US or toxicology - pragmatic things to know (at least from my understanding).

SLOEs, CV, and interview trump all else
Gotcha.

Unclear what will happen in the coming years, and how this affects what you would consider "top" programs, but that also depends on how you define "top.
Hm. I define a "top program" as a residency that exposes residents to many "oh s#it" situations and has some semblance of infrastructure that can facilitate learning in these "oh s#it" moments. Location is very low on things I care about; exposure and decent supportive infrastructure are all I care about. I don't think an increase in residency spots will affect the quality of established programs, but what do I know?

I guess that is my real question, "What aspects of my application should I hone in so I don't land on a 'green' residency program." But you've answered that: SLOE, CVs, and Interviews.

Nay, on the academics... I've lived enough to know that isn't for me. Maybe a fellowship. US or toxicology - pragmatic things to know (at least from my understanding).

Gotcha.

Hm. I define a "top program" as a residency that exposes residents to many "oh s#it" situations and has some semblance of infrastructure that can facilitate learning in these "oh s#it" moments. Location is very low on things I care about; exposure and decent supportive infrastructure are all I care about. I don't think an increase in residency spots will affect the quality of established programs, but what do I know?

I guess that is my real question, "What aspects of my application should I hone in so I don't land on a 'green' residency program." But you've answered that: SLOE, CVs, and Interviews.

Apparently US is a waste of a year unless going into academics. There’s a thread on the EM forum about it

Apparently US is a waste of a year unless going into academics. There’s a thread on the EM forum about it
Really? I find that hard to believe, but then again. I've not gone to residency, so wtf do I know, right? Ha!
I'll check the forum out, thanks.

Is this the forum you're referring to?

This is the forum you might want to take a look at: Emergency Medicine
I recommend that you read through the threads for a good while before posting, though.
...and yes, there were 555 open seats in EM available in SOAP this year (even at what were considered good programs).

Reactions: 1 user

Is this the forum you're referring to?

Yes, this was a highly rated comment for exampme

“The best US fellowship is no US fellowship”

EM is down-trending in competitiveness atm. Last year there were something like 500 spots unmatched. It probably will be the same this year, whose to say in the next 2 years when you apply. Could be up by then, could still be down. If it's how it is now, EM is moderately competitive. All they care about is how you do on your home and/or away EM clerkships. The SLOEs are everything.

Research is less important. If you really want to outshine, consider getting in on some EM-related projects. Maybe that's research, maybe it's QI or education. Get in with some of the EM folks at your home program and get their advice. "Top programs" is kind of a pointless statement. Think about what kind of training you would want and you'll gear your application towards those. Academic or community? 3 or 4 year program? Thinking about fellowship? Urban or rural? Any subspecialty interests? You'll get a good training at vast majority of programs.

how the heck could EM be considered anything other than extremely uncompetitive right now?