How to maintain mental health while in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFizition

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting M1 here who's a bit concerned..

With the recent increase in medical student and physician suicide, I think it's important to bring up the topic of how to maintain good mental health while in medical school. Personally, I am fortunate enough to not have any chronic depression or anxiety. However, I do fear that the stress of medical school can affect my mentality negatively. From what I've heard, it's not only the stress of studying, but also the abuse of third and fourth year, the thoughts of paying massive amounts of loans, as well as the constant expectation to perform at your prime that gets a lot of people.

What can I, and other medical students, do to stay healthy both physically and mentally in medical school? What do you current students do to keep your sanity, and what do you recommend that us incoming students do to practice good behavioral health.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do things outside of just studying - go to social events, drink, workout, have classmates/friends over, sex, do outdoor activities, play video games, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Build a stable identity and be able to see the big picture of life before starting.

Be able to see the big picture of medical school in that you're not expected to know everything.

Understand the difference between a minor failure and a major failure when considering your life goals. Be able to cope with minor failure.

Recognize the difference between criticism and hate and ignore haters.

Pancakes.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pancakes.

6Ggwb.gif

Reactions: 15 users
Don't compare yourself to others. Know when you're not okay and that it is okay to go and talk to someone - don't keep things to yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
Biggest advice I can give: have friends outside of medical school.

I didn't struggle at all during my 1st two years and now am scoring low on practice exams and have to delay Step. My fellow classmates feel bad for me. Then I talk to my friends outside of school and explain my situation and they all just say "We don't get it. Doesn't sound like a big deal at all."

In other words, keep things in perspective. It's never as bad as it seems. It's an environment full of brilliant people so it's easy to feel down and inadequate.

Reactions: 3 users
Biggest advice I can give: have friends outside of medical school.

I didn't struggle at all during my 1st two years and now am scoring low on practice exams and have to delay Step. My fellow classmates feel bad for me. Then I talk to my friends outside of school and explain my situation and they all just say "We don't get it. Doesn't sound like a big deal at all."

In other words, keep things in perspective. It's never as bad as it seems. It's an environment full of brilliant people so it's easy to feel down and inadequate.

"Oh you're scoring low on your United States Medical Licensing Exam and are at risk of failing? That's not a big deal man."

That's not perspective, that's idiocy. They should give targeted support if they know you at a friend level.

Reactions: 1 users
"Oh you're scoring low on your United States Medical Licensing Exam and are at risk of failing? That's not a big deal man."

That's not perspective, that's idiocy. They should give targeted support if they know you at a friend level.

Sorry, I meant having to delay the exam is what they say isn't a big deal, while my classmates cringe at the thought of that

Personally my outlets are road rage and flaming people on SDN

This happens at my school too, where people who delay get treated, consciously or otherwise, like they're icky or something. There's really honestly no shame in it and there can be so many reasons for delaying. I can't imagine a person researching doctors and asking themselves "but did they have to take extra time to study for step?"

Sorry, I meant having to delay the exam is what they say isn't a big deal, while my classmates cringe at the thought of that

Reactions: 2 users
If you're a more introverted person, don't feel like you have to go out and be super social and drink a lot to fit in with your classmates. At the beginning of the year, I went out all the time and just felt uncomfortable. Something about the bar setting with a ton of people just doesn't work that well for me anymore. Throughout the year, listen to what YOU truly want. When that free time rolls around, do what YOU want to do. You will feel more fulfilled and enjoy it more. I ended up making a tight knit group of friends and it has been great. Ultimately, do what makes you happy (within reason). I figured this out for second semester, and I have enjoyed it so much more!

Reactions: 3 users
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/directions-out-of-burn-out-central.1198973/#post-17736204
**Crayola's self care tips**

the rest of this is less about prevention but damage control, but it's good to know because you have zero time and if things go south you need to act quickly

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dealing-with-major-depression-how-to-proceed.1196932/
megapost on all dealing of depression in med school

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ability-accommodations.1179885/#post-17333196
if you have/develop mental illness, much of the advice here may well apply for accomodations or carving out time for mental health appointments while on rotation, use PRN

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/resident-friend-joked-about-suicide.1116935/#post-16240366
written for residents, but communicates the need for privacy

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/alcoholics-anonymous-in-residency.1138505/#post-16691390
if substances become an issue

If you're a more introverted person, don't feel like you have to go out and be super social and drink a lot to fit in with your classmates.
Whoops, clearly I didn't get the memo lol

How to maintain mental health while in med school? Kind of a dumb question, since if you got into med school and are actually planning on attending, then by definition you are insane. How do you "maintain" something you don't have in the first place?

Starting M1 here who's a bit concerned..

With the recent increase in medical student and physician suicide, I think it's important to bring up the topic of how to maintain good mental health while in medical school. Personally, I am fortunate enough to not have any chronic depression or anxiety. However, I do fear that the stress of medical school can affect my mentality negatively. From what I've heard, it's not only the stress of studying, but also the abuse of third and fourth year, the thoughts of paying massive amounts of loans, as well as the constant expectation to perform at your prime that gets a lot of people.

What can I, and other medical students, do to stay healthy both physically and mentally in medical school? What do you current students do to keep your sanity, and what do you recommend that us incoming students do to practice good behavioral health.

Thank you

Finally, a question I can answer.

First, find the biggest gunner in your class. This can be difficult, but you can mark them by one of two phrases.

The first possible phrase involves them casually mentioning to everyone they meet that they studied first aid for the entire summer prior to attendance, and how they can't believe others didn't pre-study. You can also mark them by their pallor from avoiding the suns rays, which burn them.

The other possible phrase marking the gunner is "naw I didn't even study" preferably said two minutes after casually humble bragging about how they only scored a 98/100. This person is likely diaphoretic and slightly kyphotic from compensating for the weight of their backpack.

Now that you've found your gunner, you skin them, and use their hide as a protective shield. Their total lack of self-awareness and negativity seeps into the integument and can be used as protective mental shielding against the stressors of medical school. Before you feel bad, remember that they were never *really* alive anyway. Note: dry clean only.

Alternatively, you can maintain some active interests outside of medical school, call friends and family often, exercise regularly, and try to grow as a person to meet the challenges here. Having good books about and managing your time well will help a great deal as well. Less fun though.

Schools usually have one of the Psychiatry faculty as a designated person for the students to see if the student is having issues. Such issues can include depression, anger management, stress, etc. In addition to the myriad of suggestions above, if you are starting to feel overwhelmed, which is normal, but are having a hard time handling it make it a point to see them.

in addition, continue the hobbies and interests that you had before starting medical school, Make it a part of your schedule. Exercise, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just finishing my first year so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I'll reiterate what most people have said already - find time to do the things that you enjoy. That doesn't necessarily mean being super social and going out all the time. I'm not very social at all, really. I don't go to class and I study at home or alone in the library (not a fan of group studying). I have some friends in school but few close ones and most of my free time I spend at home with my roommate. We stop studying around the same time and watch some tv each night to wind down before bed. I'm trying to do some reading for pleasure. I try to have a regular workout routine when I can. I'll go see a movie every so often or meet up with some friends who aren't in medical school to get a break from school-related stuff. I volunteer in a clinic once or twice a month.

Basically, take care of yourself and do what makes you happy. Because medical school is difficult and you being healthy and happy will go a long way in helping you to succeed. If you're really into fitness, commit to maintaining a regular exercise routine. If you love to cook, take a break from studying to cook something every day. If you're a film buff, make it a point to watch a movie or two each week. And if your mental health is truly a concern of yours, don't hesitate to see a therapist outside of school or go to the counseling center at your school. I started having anxiety and insomnia when school started. I've been seeing a psychiatrist and therapist pretty regularly since the school year started and things are much better now than at the beginning of the year. Wishing you the best of luck with school!

Reactions: 1 user