How to make money during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calipremed5768

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
-MCAT tutoring
-Options trading
-Card counting (not good enough yet)

Any other ideas? I don’t really think moonlighting is an option until PGY2

Members don't see this ad.

-MCAT tutoring
-Options trading
-Card counting (not good enough yet)

Any other ideas? I don’t really think moonlighting is an option until PGY2
Many schools require that you discuss any employment plans with the Student Affairs Dean...

Reactions: 9 users
Why though? I thought the first two years were pretty laid back. Most have optional attendance, online lectures etc. just need to do good on the step exam

Members don't see this ad :)
Also would I have to tell them that I play blackjack on weekends? Or trade options?

Pet sitting can make you a few bucks

Reactions: 8 users
Had a friend who bartended full from 8PM to 2 AM 6 days a week during M1, M2, M3 (reduces to part time when she couldn’t do full), and M4. The bar turned her studying on the job into a game. You would read her a flash card, if she got it right you would tip her a dollar, if she got it wrong it was a dollar off your drink. She was a very...attractive and driven woman to say the least. Made enough off of tips to cover tuition, housing, and about $2,000 extra a month.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17 users
This person has some interesting thoughts on the common ground of sex work and medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Make a tinder
2 Set age to 65+

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This person has some interesting thoughts on the common ground of sex work and medicine.

“Both reminded me that there are a lot of transferable skills between being a stripper and a paramedic.”

Reactions: 2 users
Is sperm or blood/plasma more profitable per ml?
Absolutely sperm, in every aspect. You can get paid as much as $800, as little as $50, for sperm donations and the average ejaculate is less than a mil. Blood donation is usually unpaid, plasma donation is usually $50 for about half a litre.

I used to work with a physician who was a stripper during medical school. Interesting man. Disturbing visual.

I’ve had quite a few shifts where I’ve said, “F this! I’m getting some pasties and body glitter, already got the shoes!” Fortunately my charge nurse didn’t take me seriously, although I would have been paid better AND treated with more respect. For reference, I’m a registered nurse currently in NP school - sometimes you anger the gods and your intubated patient needs a colonoscopy, other times you get death threats because “B*, you killed my mama!” No tips. No bonuses. Although I did have a patient intentionally drop his napkin on the floor and tell me to pick it up as if I were a dancer.

I intend to apply to medical school in four years - hopefully I can work a couple weekend nights a month plus holidays in an ICU while in school.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
They should put some respect on your name
Btw is it just a myth that nurses and NPs date high power doctors? Asking for a friend

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
start a YouTube channel and see where it goes?

Reactions: 1 users
Why though? I thought the first two years were pretty laid back. Most have optional attendance, online lectures etc. just need to do good on the step exam
Wherever you got that idea is completely false. Easy answer is you don’t

• Love
Wherever you got that idea is completely false. Easy answer is you don’t
Not true. I plan on making about $45-75K a year during all 4 years. My wife will be the one working, but it is a joint account lol

• Haha
  • Love
Not true. I plan on making about $45-75K a year during all 4 years. My wife will be the one working, but it is a joint account lol

Perks of marriage lol

Reactions: 6 users
I wanted to get married by graduation and have kids sophomore year in med. my plan is only 1.5 years off track. Sad! :(

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
But since when is playing cards for money “employment.” If you win a lottery ticket does that mean you were employed?

Step 1: Get into UNLV school of medicine
Step 2: Watch the Movie 21
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Quit medical school after you gamble away your student loans

• Haha

It’s not gambling if you know you’re gonna win

Reactions: 7 users
I’ve been practicing and reading about Hi-Lo but I assume that I’ll only be good enough to exceed EV by the time I start up med school

Winner winner

Btw is it loan fraud to take out full cost of attendance but pocket about 1000 a month which should be allocated towards rent (if I find a cheaper place)

Had a friend who bartended full from 8PM to 2 AM 6 days a week during M1, M2, M3 (reduces to part time when she couldn’t do full), and M4. The bar turned her studying on the job into a game. You would read her a flash card, if she got it right you would tip her a dollar, if she got it wrong it was a dollar off your drink. She was a very...attractive and driven woman to say the least. Made enough off of tips to cover tuition, housing, and about $2,000 extra a month.
When did she sleep?!

Many schools require that you discuss any employment plans with the Student Affairs Dean...
Do people have time to work in med school? I always thought it was different than college in that respect.

Even if cost of attendance was 30k (state school) and rent was 1k/month plus 2k extra that’s 5500 a month for a part time job

She wasn’t just “bartending” lmao. The things some people will believe.
Woah - that's not ok to say about someone regardless of if you know them or not. I doubt you'd say that if it had been about @MemeLord's guy friend...Bartenders make BANK through tips as long as they're nice/sociable, and can make a good drink.

Woah - that's not ok to say about someone regardless of if you know them or not. I doubt you'd say that if it had been about @MemeLord's guy friend...Bartenders make BANK through tips as long as they're nice/sociable, and can make a good drink.

You must be new.

• Sad
You must be new.
I am, but I still think it's wrong to make assumptions like that. I felt compelled to call him out...who knows, maybe I'll prevent him from saying things like that to people irl...

Even if cost of attendance was 30k (state school) and rent was 1k/month plus 2k extra that’s 5500 a month for a part time job
$12.50 base pay per hour plus damn near $100 an hour in tips on a slow night. Like mentioned above, she made bank.

• Wow
So she made 66k a year bartending? And that’s a low estimate assuming school was only 30k. And I would say it if it was about his guy friend.
Yes. She made upwards of $120K. It was a tourist area in an upscale bar. There are reasons people say medicine is not the best way to make money.

Yes. She made upwards of $120K. It was a tourist area in an upscale bar. There are reasons people say medicine is not the best way to make money.

She must’ve been pretty damn hot

Seriously. If I just cared about the money, I most certainly would NOT be taking this path.

Reactions: 4 users
So 12.50x40 hours (basically impossible to balance) + 100 x 7 (again basically impossible) x 52 weeks = 62,400 - the cut you have to give uncle same = about 40k

Oh you have much, much to learn . :rofl:

Don't let her see this homie, you'll be on the couch in no time. I may or may not be speaking from experience ;)
I am, but I still think it's wrong to make assumptions like that. I felt compelled to call him out...who knows, maybe I'll prevent him from saying things like that to people irl...

Easy now, let's reign the faux outrage in a few thousand yards.....

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
So 12.50x40 hours (basically impossible to balance) + 100 x 7 (again basically impossible) x 52 weeks = 62,400 - the cut you have to give uncle same = about 40k
Go to a bar in a touristy area. Ask how much they make including tips. They'll tell you AT LEAST that much.

Almost all of my friends in med school from my undergrad (Stanford/MIT/Chicago) have said undergrad was much harder and it wasn’t even close