You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How to make money during medical school?
Started by calipremed5768
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Many schools require that you discuss any employment plans with the Student Affairs Dean...-MCAT tutoring
-Options trading
-Card counting (not good enough yet)
Any other ideas? I don’t really think moonlighting is an option until PGY2
Why though? I thought the first two years were pretty laid back. Most have optional attendance, online lectures etc. just need to do good on the step exam
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Experience.Why though? I thought the first two years were pretty laid back. Most have optional attendance, online lectures etc. just need to do good on the step exam
Last edited:
Also would I have to tell them that I play blackjack on weekends? Or trade options?
Magic Mike
Signing the affirmation that indicates you will abide by policy makes it a requirement.Also would I have to tell them that I play blackjack on weekends? Or trade options?
-Participate in paid clinical research as a subject.-MCAT tutoring
-Options trading
-Card counting (not good enough yet)
Any other ideas? I don’t really think moonlighting is an option until PGY2
-Provide body fluids of various types for cash.
I am reminded of a newborn fawn, stumbling onto a busy four-lane highway.I thought the first two years were pretty laid back.
9
907914
Had a friend who bartended full from 8PM to 2 AM 6 days a week during M1, M2, M3 (reduces to part time when she couldn’t do full), and M4. The bar turned her studying on the job into a game. You would read her a flash card, if she got it right you would tip her a dollar, if she got it wrong it was a dollar off your drink. She was a very...attractive and driven woman to say the least. Made enough off of tips to cover tuition, housing, and about $2,000 extra a month.
This person has some interesting thoughts on the common ground of sex work and medicine.
strippermedic.blogspot.com
Dancing for people who have disabilities.
Recently, an amazing young woman named Stella Young passed away. I have been fortunate enough to see her speak and do comedy several times,...
9
907914
“Both reminded me that there are a lot of transferable skills between being a stripper and a paramedic.”This person has some interesting thoughts on the common ground of sex work and medicine.
![]()
Dancing for people who have disabilities.
Recently, an amazing young woman named Stella Young passed away. I have been fortunate enough to see her speak and do comedy several times,...strippermedic.blogspot.com
9
993444
-Participate in paid clinical research as a subject.
-Provide body fluids of various types for cash.
Become an escort.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-Participate in paid clinical research as a subject.
-Provide body fluids of various types for cash.
Is sperm or blood/plasma more profitable per ml?
9
907914
Absolutely sperm, in every aspect. You can get paid as much as $800, as little as $50, for sperm donations and the average ejaculate is less than a mil. Blood donation is usually unpaid, plasma donation is usually $50 for about half a litre.Is sperm or blood/plasma more profitable per ml?
andalusite_angles
Full Member
I used to work with a physician who was a stripper during medical school. Interesting man. Disturbing visual.This person has some interesting thoughts on the common ground of sex work and medicine.
![]()
Dancing for people who have disabilities.
Recently, an amazing young woman named Stella Young passed away. I have been fortunate enough to see her speak and do comedy several times,...strippermedic.blogspot.com
I’ve had quite a few shifts where I’ve said, “F this! I’m getting some pasties and body glitter, already got the shoes!” Fortunately my charge nurse didn’t take me seriously, although I would have been paid better AND treated with more respect. For reference, I’m a registered nurse currently in NP school - sometimes you anger the gods and your intubated patient needs a colonoscopy, other times you get death threats because “B*, you killed my mama!” No tips. No bonuses. Although I did have a patient intentionally drop his napkin on the floor and tell me to pick it up as if I were a dancer.
I intend to apply to medical school in four years - hopefully I can work a couple weekend nights a month plus holidays in an ICU while in school.
Pyramid schemes?
Pyramid schemes?
Oh for the love of god no lol
They should put some respect on your name
Btw is it just a myth that nurses and NPs date high power doctors? Asking for a friend
Btw is it just a myth that nurses and NPs date high power doctors? Asking for a friend
Aloe paleo
Full Member
start a YouTube channel and see where it goes?
Wherever you got that idea is completely false. Easy answer is you don’tWhy though? I thought the first two years were pretty laid back. Most have optional attendance, online lectures etc. just need to do good on the step exam
9
907914
Not true. I plan on making about $45-75K a year during all 4 years. My wife will be the one working, but it is a joint account lolWherever you got that idea is completely false. Easy answer is you don’t
Not true. I plan on making about $45-75K a year during all 4 years. My wife will be the one working, but it is a joint account lol
Perks of marriage lol
I wanted to get married by graduation and have kids sophomore year in med. my plan is only 1.5 years off track. Sad! 🙁
But since when is playing cards for money “employment.” If you win a lottery ticket does that mean you were employed?
But since when is playing cards for money “employment.” If you win a lottery ticket does that mean you were employed?
Which card counting method do you use?
Step 1: Get into UNLV school of medicine
Step 2: Watch the Movie 21
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Quit medical school after you gamble away your student loans
Step 2: Watch the Movie 21
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Quit medical school after you gamble away your student loans
Step 1: Get into UNLV school of medicine
Step 2: Watch the Movie 21
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Quit medical school after you gamble away your student loans
It’s not gambling if you know you’re gonna win
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve been practicing and reading about Hi-Lo but I assume that I’ll only be good enough to exceed EV by the time I start up med school
Step 1: Get into UNLV school of medicine
Step 2: Watch the Movie 21
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Quit medical school after you gamble away your student loans
Winner winner
Btw is it loan fraud to take out full cost of attendance but pocket about 1000 a month which should be allocated towards rent (if I find a cheaper place)
When did she sleep?!Had a friend who bartended full from 8PM to 2 AM 6 days a week during M1, M2, M3 (reduces to part time when she couldn’t do full), and M4. The bar turned her studying on the job into a game. You would read her a flash card, if she got it right you would tip her a dollar, if she got it wrong it was a dollar off your drink. She was a very...attractive and driven woman to say the least. Made enough off of tips to cover tuition, housing, and about $2,000 extra a month.
Do people have time to work in med school? I always thought it was different than college in that respect.Many schools require that you discuss any employment plans with the Student Affairs Dean...
Even if cost of attendance was 30k (state school) and rent was 1k/month plus 2k extra that’s 5500 a month for a part time job
Woah - that's not ok to say about someone regardless of if you know them or not. I doubt you'd say that if it had been about @MemeLord's guy friend...Bartenders make BANK through tips as long as they're nice/sociable, and can make a good drink.She wasn’t just “bartending” lmao. The things some people will believe.
9
907914
No. I know I use loans for my car payment...Btw is it loan fraud to take out full cost of attendance but pocket about 1000 a month which should be allocated towards rent (if I find a cheaper place)
D
deleted987519
Woah - that's not ok to say about someone regardless of if you know them or not. I doubt you'd say that if it had been about @MemeLord's guy friend...Bartenders make BANK through tips as long as they're nice/sociable, and can make a good drink.
You must be new.
I am, but I still think it's wrong to make assumptions like that. I felt compelled to call him out...who knows, maybe I'll prevent him from saying things like that to people irl...You must be new.
9
907914
$12.50 base pay per hour plus damn near $100 an hour in tips on a slow night. Like mentioned above, she made bank.Even if cost of attendance was 30k (state school) and rent was 1k/month plus 2k extra that’s 5500 a month for a part time job
9
907914
Yes. She made upwards of $120K. It was a tourist area in an upscale bar. There are reasons people say medicine is not the best way to make money.So she made 66k a year bartending? And that’s a low estimate assuming school was only 30k. And I would say it if it was about his guy friend.
Yes. She made upwards of $120K. It was a tourist area in an upscale bar. There are reasons people say medicine is not the best way to make money.
She must’ve been pretty damn hot
Lol, I actually started working in one of those in OMS-1. I quit within a month.Pyramid schemes?
Last edited:
Seriously. If I just cared about the money, I most certainly would NOT be taking this path.Yes. She made upwards of $120K. It was a tourist area in an upscale bar. There are reasons people say medicine is not the best way to make money.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol, I actually started working in one of those in OMS-1. I quit with a month.
Good.
Ive seen those MLM’s ruin lives.
So 12.50x40 hours (basically impossible to balance) + 100 x 7 (again basically impossible) x 52 weeks = 62,400 - the cut you have to give uncle same = about 40k
A
AnatomyGrey12
Why though? I thought the first two years were pretty laid back. Most have optional attendance, online lectures etc. just need to do good on the step exam
Oh you have much, much to learn . 🤣
Not true. I plan on making about $45-75K a year during all 4 years. My wife will be the one working, but it is a joint account lol
Don't let her see this homie, you'll be on the couch in no time. I may or may not be speaking from experience 😉
Woah - that's not ok to say about someone regardless of if you know them or not. I doubt you'd say that if it had been about @MemeLord's guy friend...Bartenders make BANK through tips as long as they're nice/sociable, and can make a good drink.
I am, but I still think it's wrong to make assumptions like that. I felt compelled to call him out...who knows, maybe I'll prevent him from saying things like that to people irl...
Easy now, let's reign the faux outrage in a few thousand yards.....
Go to a bar in a touristy area. Ask how much they make including tips. They'll tell you AT LEAST that much.So 12.50x40 hours (basically impossible to balance) + 100 x 7 (again basically impossible) x 52 weeks = 62,400 - the cut you have to give uncle same = about 40k
Almost all of my friends in med school from my undergrad (Stanford/MIT/Chicago) have said undergrad was much harder and it wasn’t even close
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 813
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 566
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
J
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
J