how to make myself nervous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
The problem with taking practice tests is that i know its not a real mcat and i know the score wont count so i am not nervous. I know on test day i will be shaking and i will not be able to understand some simple simple simple questions because of being so nervous. I want to be nervous, so i will have a better idea of how i will score on the real thing. How can i convince myself that i am taking a real mcat although its not real? how can i pretend its test day? how i can get more nervous?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to be relaxed. Study the material hard. Do really well on the practice tests, keep studying to get your score as high as possible. Then walk into the test knowing that you will do well, and relax. Just do what you were doing that past whatever period of time.

In a way, this is your real test. You can think of it this way. Practice score averages largely determine your real score. So you want your practice scores as high as your real score. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what else will, maybe someone else has better ideas.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Hello,
The problem with taking practice tests is that i know its not a real mcat and i know the score wont count so i am not nervous. I know on test day i will be shaking and i will not be able to understand some simple simple simple questions because of being so nervous. I want to be nervous, so i will have a better idea of how i will score on the real thing. How can i convince myself that i am taking a real mcat although its not real? how can i pretend its test day? how i can get more nervous?

You'll be shaking on test day?

Try jogging a few minutes before each practice test. That should simulate the adrenergic surge for the real thing. The brief exercise will also release endorphins so that you'll condition yourself to believe that leaving for a test is a pleasant experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps if you take your practice tests in a similar environment to the actual MCAT, like the school computer lab or a busy coffee shop, your practice scores will be more indicative of your actual score.

In a way, this is your real test. You can think of it this way. Practice score averages largely determine your real score. So you want your practice scores as high as your real score. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what else will, maybe someone else has better ideas.

Hope this helps,

-LIS
Definitely sounds enough to make me a bit apprehensive. That's how I look at it as well

Yea. You get train yourself to get nervous and learn to handle the pressure or go in and treat it as no big deal and give the MCAT a batista bomb. Both options will work well. Don't let the MCAT batista bomb you though.

-LIS

Take your test with a big spider hidden somewhere in your room....

Seriously, you shouldn't try to make your self nervous to mimic the test conditions, instead work on not getting nervous during exams. You will have to face many more exams before you graduate from med school, so the sooner you start, the better...

I was the same way. Every time I took the prac exams i thought "ohh, its just a practice. I'll do better on test day because I'll be nervous and have adrenaline rushing through me and I'll KNOW how important this is." Test day came. I wasn't very nervous at all. Left the test center... it was like a thousand bricks fell on top of me and I said "holy crap I just took the MCAT!! The real deal!!!!"... I don't know if its good or bad. Still waiting for test scores. I'll let you know if the strategy worked or failed haha :)

Hello,

punish yourself for not improving X points lol

my dad is like: you better improve X pts...

so as a result, i am nervous because i dont want to disappoint. As a result, i've improved 27 32 34 on the TPR tests. Also, i think to myself to treat it as a real mcat because if i dont do well, then i'm not gona do well on the real mcat.

Hello,

I wouldn't recommend this. I practiced being calm and confident before my practice tests so I would get used to doing that for the real thing and that's what happened-I was calm, collected and confident. So try to practice being confident and alert, not nervous-that'll potentially mess you up. Just my 2 cents.