How To Make Techs Rotate Between Various Stations Pls????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teddybear123456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advice on cross training my techs. Since I started working at my pharmacy, we always had a strong tech team. Most of them have been techs for a long time. They are fast and they know how to rotate between work stations themselves. Pharmacist didnt need to assign a daily work flow for the techs. However, recently, some of the senior techs left. We just hire brand new people who never work in the pharmacy before. Since we are still operating the work flow the old way, which pretty much we let the techs pick their own station that they like. We now end up with people who get stuck at the drop-off window all day. People who fill all day never get a chance to learn the drop- off window. When a senior tech call out, all I have left are weak techs who dont even know how to apply orders. Could your guy tell me how do techs rotate work flow at your store please. I am so tired of this mess. Also, ppl always complain how someone never take the trash out, or someone never put Rx copies away at the end of the day. How can I make everyone pitch in and do their jobs. I think our techs are hard working ppl, it just seems like we have poor management and leadership. I know it will take a while for ppl at my store to break the old rules. But I am so ready to make a big change to improve work quality. Thank you very much for all of your suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Simply put up a checklist until it becomes natural. Put something like last tech leaves takes trash out. If it's not done let them know. At some point it'll become natural.

I thought most places did a rotation of when you take a break, after coming back your drive thru and slowly move back to filling station as people take breaks.

Oh and Walgreens saying is allstars get the cars so during drive time, the best tech is drive thru.

Reactions: 1 user
If you work for WAGS, you have to rotate. I'ts against company policy if you don't follow the workflow correctly. I got reprimanded in the past for not adhering to proper workflow. If you work another company, it's still better to rotate. If you allow 1 tech to fill all the time and the others stuck at drive thru or counter there will be friction and conflicts later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you work for CVS just use the workstation assignment board. If you work somewhere else just tell the techs they have to rotate the stations. It's hard at first but after a while they will get in the habit.

Reactions: 3 users
Or just don't make them rotate. Ask them which one they want to work at and leave them there. When I was a tech, I never did anything other than drop off or production. Pharmacist knew I hated pick-up so never sent me there unless the other person needed backup.

Reactions: 1 users
Just yell "ROTATE" every two hours or every hour.

It's like you guys never played competitive volleyball.

Reactions: 8 users
I have morning tech inputs until lunch time then another tech takes over after lunch. Weak tech at pick up and fill, when it's slow down they can practice input at another station (not drop off) so they can concentrate. Tech who leaves at 8pm do return to stock, take out the trash, and stock up supply. Tech leaves at closing do filing (end of the day label) and vacuum. Midday tech does the order and will call. We close for lunch so first tech goes to lunch and the other 2 techs pull OTC out dates. Everyone knows how to apply the order (they messed up in the beginning but learn what not to do.) I can see who makes mistake when the report print out so I can pin point who needs additional training (mostly when things are not in the system they have to manually added the items in).

Just yell "ROTATE" every two hours or every hour.

It's like you guys never played competitive volleyball.
Right? I thought rotation after acing a script (new RX, non-control, qty in stock, no rejections, no interactions, co-pay as expected) or after getting chewed out by a customer or doctor's office was standard. Maybe the second part is from a drinking game. I forget...

Reactions: 2 users
You just have to tell people to rotate and be strong about it. When I took over my new store, the senior tech camped out at data entry and no one else knew how to do anything/it had established a bad power dynamic where the store depended too much on one tech.

She bitched about rotating for a while, but she got over it. I cajoled her ego a bit by telling her how strong a tech she is and I wanted the others to try to get close to her level/lighten her daily task load. And buying food.

Reactions: 4 users
You just have to tell people to rotate and be strong about it. When I took over my new store, the senior tech camped out at data entry and no one else knew how to do anything/it had established a bad power dynamic where the store depended too much on one tech.

She bitched about rotating for a while, but she got over it. I cajoled her ego a bit by telling her how strong a tech she is and I wanted the others to try to get close to her level/lighten her daily task load. And buying food.

They will also sometimes try to give you attitude about metrics.
"Well, if I'm not here, everything is gonna go red!"

You have to put them in their place when that happens.

"That's odd. I didn't realize the [insert district manager title here] addressed metrics with you. When did that start?"

Depending on the store you have to implement a culture of fear accountability but that's not possible if you are handcuffed in hiring new people.

Like basic tasks or expectations. If people fail time and time again to accomplish basic things they need to be written up or their hours cut. Otherwise it will affect overall morale.

And by basic things I also mean being "smart" about decreasing workload like setting up auto-refills intelligently, automated calls intelligently, convert to 90 days intelligently, knowing all the common insurances and their idiosyncrasies, refusing to send refill authorizations for one-time/discharge/ED meds intelligently, etc. as described here: CVS inside Target vs Walgreens. If you are a dumb automaton you have no place in chain retail pharmacy, tech or pharmacist. If you have techs that can't learn how to clear input and TP rejections while listing to some customer B.S. at drop off, they don't belong. Period

The hardest situation is when you have ****ty techs who have somehow managed to stick around for years and years. At least your situation is different and you just need to rotate and teach up or coach out

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have morning tech inputs until lunch time then another tech takes over after lunch. Weak tech at pick up and fill, when it's slow down they can practice input at another station (not drop off) so they can concentrate. Tech who leaves at 8pm do return to stock, take out the trash, and stock up supply. Tech leaves at closing do filing (end of the day label) and vacuum. Midday tech does the order and will call. We close for lunch so first tech goes to lunch and the other 2 techs pull OTC out dates. Everyone knows how to apply the order (they messed up in the beginning but learn what not to do.) I can see who makes mistake when the report print out so I can pin point who needs additional training (mostly when things are not in the system they have to manually added the items in).

thanks for this details sharing, i think i will copy this ideas !!

I agree with owlgrad and cetialphafive. If it's CVS fill out the workflow board and make sure to move everyone about every 2 hrs. I have learned that you have to be firm and say, "ok, it's noon o clock, x person is at drop off, y at pickup, z at production, clean up your stations and move." You can even add tasks like cycle counts, checking in the order, lunches, etc. to the workflow board. Also to keep them accountable for closing duties, I made a sign off sheet. Whatever tech does trash, puts rx hard copies in order, checks the order each night, cycle counts, etc, initial off on the check list.

Hi guys, I need some advice on cross training my techs. Since I started working at my pharmacy, we always had a strong tech team. Most of them have been techs for a long time. They are fast and they know how to rotate between work stations themselves. Pharmacist didnt need to assign a daily work flow for the techs. However, recently, some of the senior techs left. We just hire brand new people who never work in the pharmacy before. Since we are still operating the work flow the old way, which pretty much we let the techs pick their own station that they like. We now end up with people who get stuck at the drop-off window all day. People who fill all day never get a chance to learn the drop- off window. When a senior tech call out, all I have left are weak techs who dont even know how to apply orders. Could your guy tell me how do techs rotate work flow at your store please. I am so tired of this mess. Also, ppl always complain how someone never take the trash out, or someone never put Rx copies away at the end of the day. How can I make everyone pitch in and do their jobs. I think our techs are hard working ppl, it just seems like we have poor management and leadership. I know it will take a while for ppl at my store to break the old rules. But I am so ready to make a big change to improve work quality. Thank you very much for all of your suggestions

It would help us if you share what company you work for. Most of us have worked at several and are familiar with the resources that are available for you at each one.

You should find your pharmacy operations manual and make sure you know by heart what the workflow expectations are. Everyone needs to be held accountable for it.
Here are a few universal things you should be able to do:

- print out a business summary report. It might be called something else at your company. This is a breakdown of the day hour by hour and what happens during each hour; i.e., how many prescriptions entered at drop off, how many filled, pickups etc.
That determines your scheduling needs - how many techs at drop off, pickup, fill.

- of course, you have way stations than techs available. Therefore, everyone gets a back-up station. Here are some common examples:
1. Drop off tech #1 does Input and handles people who come up to window.
2. Drop off tech #2 does Input and pickup.
3. There’s always someone in fill. So the tech in fill provides phone back up. That tech does not get held up by the phone call. Tech answers phone on the first ring - period.end of discussion. Then, determines what the person needs and says “line one is on hold for drop off. It’s for a refil.” That tech goes back to fill right away.
3. When people come up to the consultation window, there’s no “do you have a question for a pharmacist?”. That used to drive me insane at CVS. Nonsense. You end up rushing through verifying a script only to be asked where the hypoallergenic baby wipes are.
4. TECHS MUST SCREEN ALL PHONE CALLS THAT ASK FOR A PHARMACIST AND ALL CONSULTATION QUESTIONS. They have to literally be able to recite to you what the question is. If they can’t because it’s too clinical, that’s ok. Then you know for sure it’s a question for you.
5. You’re going to have to micromanage them. Someone else here mentioned a checklist. That’s a great idea. And I would add dates to that list and slots for initials. Everyone gets assigned side work. Those who have worked in restaurants know what I’m talking about. If you have X station you take care of the coffee station, if you have the front, you keep limes and lemons stocked. Well, at a pharmacy, if you are the fill person, then you keep those vials stocked. You do not hand your station to someone else all empty.
6. No one leaves at the end of their shift without a pharmacist double checking their sidework is done. End of discussion.
7. Breaks - monitor how long they take. Start writing people up. That’s your low hanging fruit.
8. Keep track of their input quality and errors. Document errors. Use a supportive approach, not a punitive one. I’m sure there is a report.
9. On that link that someone else posted CVS/inside target vs Walgreens, many contributed and I listed several ways to keep your queue clutter free. Read it several times, make sense of it and see how it applies to your workflow. Before you implement it, make sure you start finding examples of those items I listed, print the Rx along with the Rx number and start compiling. That way when you’re ready to have the talk, you are able to refer to something tangible. You know techs, they will *act confused and will try to bury your attempt to protect your license with their *faked confusion.

Don’t forget and don’t hesitate to remind them that THEY are extensions OF YOU AND the ONLY reason they’re able to be inside the pharmacy is because of YOUR PHARMACIST license. Walmart techs think that because they’ve been there for 20 years, all of a sudden they get to *tell a pharmacist what to do or get to ignore your instructions.

*****Anytime ANYONE ignores your instructions, their refusing to practice pharmacy safely under your license. That tech needs to go home. Get someone from HR and have a conversation and state what I just said.****

They’re free to go to the deli, dressing rooms, whatever. Sign them up for training and they may return when they are ready to practice pharmacy safely under your license.

Last edited:
Depending on the store you have to implement a culture of fear accountability but that's not possible if you are handcuffed in hiring new people.

Like basic tasks or expectations. If people fail time and time again to accomplish basic things they need to be written up or their hours cut. Otherwise it will affect overall morale.

And by basic things I also mean being "smart" about decreasing workload like setting up auto-refills intelligently, automated calls intelligently, convert to 90 days intelligently, knowing all the common insurances and their idiosyncrasies, refusing to send refill authorizations for one-time/discharge/ED meds intelligently, etc. as described here: CVS inside Target vs Walgreens. If you are a dumb automaton you have no place in chain retail pharmacy, tech or pharmacist. If you have techs that can't learn how to clear input and TP rejections while listing to some customer B.S. at drop off, they don't belong. Period

The hardest situation is when you have ****ty techs who have somehow managed to stick around for years and years. At least your situation is different and you just need to rotate and teach up or coach out

“Automaton” - LOL love it. But it’s exactly how most are.

It would help us if you share what company you work for. Most of us have worked at several and are familiar with the resources that are available for you at each one.

You should find your pharmacy operations manual and make sure you know by heart what the workflow expectations are. Everyone needs to be held accountable for it.
Here are a few universal things you should be able to do:

- print out a business summary report. It might be called something else at your company. This is a breakdown of the day hour by hour and what happens during each hour; i.e., how many prescriptions entered at drop off, how many filled, pickups etc.
That determines your scheduling needs - how many techs at drop off, pickup, fill.

- of course, you have way stations than techs available. Therefore, everyone gets a back-up station. Here are some common examples:
1. Drop off tech #1 does Input and handles people who come up to window.
2. Drop off tech #2 does Input and pickup.
3. There’s always someone in fill. So the tech in fill provides phone back up. That tech does not get held up by the phone call. Tech answers phone on the first ring - period.end of discussion. Then, determines what the person needs and says “line one is on hold for drop off. It’s for a refil.” That tech goes back to fill right away.
3. When people come up to the consultation window, there’s no “do you have a question for a pharmacist?”. That used to drive me insane at CVS. Nonsense. You end up rushing through verifying a script only to be asked where the hypoallergenic baby wipes are.
4. TECHS MUST SCREEN ALL PHONE CALLS THAT ASK FOR A PHARMACIST AND ALL CONSULTATION QUESTIONS. They have to literally be able to recite to you what the question is. If they can’t because it’s too clinical, that’s ok. Then you know for sure it’s a question for you.
5. You’re going to have to micromanage them. Someone else here mentioned a checklist. That’s a great idea. And I would add dates to that list and slots for initials. Everyone gets assigned side work. Those who have worked in restaurants know what I’m talking about. If you have X station you take care of the coffee station, if you have the front, you keep limes and lemons stocked. Well, at a pharmacy, if you are the fill person, then you keep those vials stocked. You do not hand your station to someone else all empty.
6. No one leaves at the end of their shift without a pharmacist double checking their sidework is done. End of discussion.
7. Breaks - monitor how long they take. Start writing people up. That’s your low hanging fruit.
8. Keep track of their input quality and errors. Document errors. Use a supportive approach, not a punitive one. I’m sure there is a report.
9. On that link that someone else posted CVS/inside target vs Walgreens, many contributed and I listed several ways to keep your queue clutter free. Read it several times, make sense of it and see how it applies to your workflow. Before you implement it, make sure you start finding examples of those items I listed, print the Rx along with the Rx number and start compiling. That way when you’re ready to have the talk, you are able to refer to something tangible. You know techs, they will
Act confused and will try to bury your attempt to protect your license with their fakes confusion.

Don’t forget and don’t hesitate to remind them that THEY are extensions OF YOU AND the ONLY reason they’re able to be inside the pharmacy is because of YOUR PHARMACIST license. Walmart techs think that because they’ve been there for 20 years, all of a sudden they get to yell a pharmacist what to do or get to ignore your instructions.

*****Anytime ANYONE ignores your instructions, their refusing to practice pharmacy safely under your license. That tech needs to go home. Get someone from HR and have a conversation and state what I just said.****

They’re free to go to the deli, dressing rooms, whatever. Sign them up for training and they may return when they are ready to practice pharmacy safely under your license.
Thank you for the thorough response. We just hired 2 cashiers and 2 new techs, these techs never work n the pharmacy before. Plus I guess I am more a laid back person, so whenever I am there, the techs never work at their full potential speed. These factors leads to me having a crazy workflow. I will definitely use some suggestions from this post and make some changes to my store in term of stations rotation. It just that I cant make techs work faster than the speed they are at.

Thank you for the thorough response. We just hired 2 cashiers and 2 new techs, these techs never work n the pharmacy before. Plus I guess I am more a laid back person, so whenever I am there, the techs never work at their full potential speed. These factors leads to me having a crazy workflow. I will definitely use some suggestions from this post and make some changes to my store in term of stations rotation. It just that I cant make techs work faster than the speed they are at.

No one here has said “make them work faster”. You’ll get open-doored if you do that at Walmart. It’s about swiftly cutting through the water while swimming and not fighting the water. It’s about not wasting energy creating more work for yourself and for others. Most of the time techs don’t realize that’s what they’re doing by not doing their work intelligently.

It doesn’t happen overnight. Talk to your boss and ask if you can arrange for your techs to go to a training store, once a week, one at a time. That way they’re extra and don’t get sucked into the workflow and are able to learn.

Laid back attitude does not work for me. I’m responsible for everything technicians and clerks do and say inside the pharmacy. Keep it professional, sure, but don’t be afraid to start fixing things. Do not implement more than one change per week.