How to make the most of Pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

escanoke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN Pharmacy,

I'll be starting pharmacy school in the fall and was wondering what I can/should do to make the most of pharmacy school? I have a loose understanding of residencies/fellowships and know that 60-70% of pharmacy jobs are retail. But would like to know from you graduates or pharmacy students, if you could go back in time what would you tell your P1 selves?

I'd just like to maximize my time during school and to give myself a competitive edge so that when I graduate I could give myself the best chance at a wide range of opportunities.

If you guys could refrain from any posts about get out now when you can/any comments on no point because of saturation/getting good grades. I understand/have read enough of the doom and gloom plus a wise man once said there's always room for one more good one!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Biggest thing you can do to set yourself apart is to work while you're in school. Get hired as an intern for a chain/hospital/wherever and at least work a good 15-20 hours a week. It's 100% manageable and will give you a significant edge on the competition. It also will give you money to somewhat cover your living expenses so you don't have to pull as much money out in loans. If you're thinking that it will suck, it most definitely will. You'll have to sacrifice a lot if you want a great shot at a job offer.

Reactions: 1 user