How to make the most out of lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm a new medical student, and I am trying to find out what is the best way to study that suits me.

I've at least figured out that going to lectures is better than NOT going.

However, I feel that I don't get as much out of the lectures as I should be. If I miss a point or seem to be lost on something, the entire lecture after that point seems to be less meaningful and can frustrate me later on. Some of my classmates seem to sit in lecture, take minimal notes, and review for no more than 1-2 hours for that lecture and be fine. Although I try to preview for lectures, so far, I've been going in mostly cold or with basic/advanced undergrad-level background on the topic. I also end up spending wayyy toooooo much time trying to "study" the lectures.

So, my questions are...

How can I make the lectures be more substantive and meaningful without killing time later on when trying to piece the knowledge together? At what point after a lecture is it enough studying (until reviewing again for the test)?Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your classmates likely spend more time than you think on the lectures. I found myself becoming frustrated when I missed a point during lecture and missing the rest after that so I skip lecture and watch it online where I have time to rewind

The lecture is a way to find out what you need to study/know. It is NOT necessarily a way to actually learn those things.

Reactions: 1 users