How to Match into Child Psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PassionForever

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my adult residency, and I'm really interested in going into child psych. I'm not sure, though, what it takes to match into child psych. Is it board scores (step 3?)? Connections? Interest? Is Child Psych a competitive specialty? I'm in a major city, but I don't really want to stay at my home adult program (they have a child psych fellowship). There are a few other programs in the city. How can I position myself well to match there? Is it beneficial to fast track, or do programs not care?

Members don't see this ad.

Double posted, so may as well edit and explain instead. It's very easy to match somewhere though not necessarily at the place you want if you end up too picky. Fast tracking is beneficial for you, not the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
270ish applicants for 300ish spots...do the math..

Are there specific markets that are more competitive? My issue is that I'm geographically limited. My city has a few programs, and they have a few spots each, but I'm worried that they'll just be taken by their own grads (looking at their current classes, that doesn't seem to be totally true). Guess I'm asking whether or not people try to contact those program heads or something. Like I said, my current adult program has a child program, but I don't really want to stay there.

Are there specific markets that are more competitive? My issue is that I'm geographically limited. My city has a few programs, and they have a few spots each, but I'm worried that they'll just be taken by their own grads (looking at their current classes, that doesn't seem to be totally true). Guess I'm asking whether or not people try to contact those program heads or something. Like I said, my current adult program has a child program, but I don't really want to stay there.

There is no way to measure yearly variation of competition in advance. Most psych fellowships prefer to keep their own residents as they are a known quality that fits the program (mostly).

In some years, my child program has 3-4 applicants willing to fill the 4 child spots. Those years make the program very competitive to outsiders. Other years have seen only 1 interested applicant. Those years they struggle to fill with anyone.

You won't know your odds until application time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way to measure yearly variation of competition in advance. Most psych fellowships prefer to keep their own residents as they are a known quality that fits the program (mostly).

In some years, my child program has 3-4 applicants willing to fill the 4 child spots. Those years make the program very competitive to outsiders. Other years have seen only 1 interested applicant. Those years they struggle to fill with anyone.

You won't know your odds until application time.

4 applicants? You mean, 4 applicants from your home program for those 4 spots?

4 applicants? You mean, 4 applicants from your home program for those 4 spots?

Yes, sorry. Sometimes child psych has 4 applicants from the general program. When it does, it is basically game-over for outsiders regardless of resume.

Reactions: 1 user