How to maximize a rads externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently doing an away rotation in radiology. I am doing my elective at a place I would be happy to end up at for residency, and want to make the most out of my 4 weeks here.

Any tips for getting the most out of an away rotation? Should I try to meet with the residency program director? The medical program director? Any tips on getting LORs? Etc.

Any and all advice would be tremendously appreciated! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is customary for the PD to meet with students who are doing externships at the program...at least that is what I observed in the other fields (surgery, medicine, etc). That would definitely be helpful...to put a face and a personality to your application.

The only advice that I think anyone can offer is to be stellar. Bust your a-- for 4 weeks, which I guess for radiology means asking plenty of intelligent questions which show your are interested and capable of critical thinking. Never look bored or tired. And most importantly, be a nice person to everyone. Show everyone in the program, and not only the people who are on the residency selection committee, that you are a pleasant person who they would want to work with or be around for 4/5 years.

Best of luck.