How to maximize a rads externship?

Started by Ruban
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ruban

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I am currently doing an away rotation in radiology. I am doing my elective at a place I would be happy to end up at for residency, and want to make the most out of my 4 weeks here.

Any tips for getting the most out of an away rotation? Should I try to meet with the residency program director? The medical program director? Any tips on getting LORs? Etc.

Any and all advice would be tremendously appreciated! :luck:
 
I think it is customary for the PD to meet with students who are doing externships at the program...at least that is what I observed in the other fields (surgery, medicine, etc). That would definitely be helpful...to put a face and a personality to your application.

The only advice that I think anyone can offer is to be stellar. Bust your a-- for 4 weeks, which I guess for radiology means asking plenty of intelligent questions which show your are interested and capable of critical thinking. Never look bored or tired. And most importantly, be a nice person to everyone. Show everyone in the program, and not only the people who are on the residency selection committee, that you are a pleasant person who they would want to work with or be around for 4/5 years.

Best of luck.