How to negotiate some pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasman654

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Academic place I am at said I would eventually do pain but so far has not, now I am trying to find another academic place that’ll let me do both, mostly anesthesia just some pain…any tips on how to navigate this? Pretty hard to sell to anyone I haven’t done pain in 2 years..also I’m limited by location

Members don't see this ad.

Email the chairs or department heads. Don't have to mention you haven't done pain in 2 years. I can't imagine there are a whole lot of academic centers if you are limited by location?

Also it just depends on timing. I do academics anesthesia/pain. Two years ago we were looking for more pain hires. Currently pain is full but can't get anyone for anesthesia.

Email the chairs or department heads. Don't have to mention you haven't done pain in 2 years. I can't imagine there are a whole lot of academic centers if you are limited by location?

Also it just depends on timing. I do academics anesthesia/pain. Two years ago we were looking for more pain hires. Currently pain is full but can't get anyone for anesthesia.
Timing is the number one
Contacts are a close number two

If you're geographically limited, there's only a few people you need to know. Consider the local pain society meetings. Use the vendor network to get face time with the deciders or get intel on the locations.
If you're looking to make it work at your location, attract positive attention by doing the clinical things in pain no one wants
Academic places often have inpatient or regional pain services that could benefit from your skillset

Think about whether you really want to do pain, or just want to not do anesthesia in the situation you're in now