How to not be annoying on rotations.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainbowYoshi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So starting my 4th year and have a few neuro rotations lined up. In particular I'm doing one in outpatient neuro and a couple in general neuro inpatient. Any tips on how to not get in everyone's way and especially how to make their lives easier would be great. Side note I'm going to be having a bit more free time this year so any suggestions on good books, neuro or otherwise would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Outpatient: there's really not much you can do to be helpful as a med student. Make sure the attending you'll be following knows you're coming, and ask ahead of time what expectations will be re: shadowing vs seeing patients yourself then presenting, writing notes, etc.

Inpatient: like any inpatient medical rotation. Concise presentations (nothing will elicit more eye rolls than a med student rambling, not even putting zebras at the top of your differential), know your patients better than your residents or attendings, pay attention on rounds and when tasks are discussed be the first to volunteer to do the ones you are allowed to do. An occasional pointed, relevant, patient-centered question is appropriate for rounds, but most of that should be saved for after rounds so that everyone isn't held hostage by the attending explaining really basic stuff to the med student ad nauseum.

So starting my 4th year and have a few neuro rotations lined up. In particular I'm doing one in outpatient neuro and a couple in general neuro inpatient. Any tips on how to not get in everyone's way and especially how to make their lives easier would be great. Side note I'm going to be having a bit more free time this year so any suggestions on good books, neuro or otherwise would be appreciated.

Getting hold of families by phone or in person to get more history is always helpful. Also talking to Social services, PT/OT/ST. May be talking to interns or students of primary teams about their plans and relaying neurology input is very helpful as a student. Other things that I used to have 4th year students do is update lists, Obtain medical records from outside hospitals etc.

If you are going into neuro I would try reading Blumenfield clinical neuroanatomy and may be Plum and Posner's. If not, One of the handbooks should suffice.