Not able to rotate in neuro my 3rd year. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibucks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I made a post in the regular forums but figured I’d get actual advice here.

I got my third year schedule, placed into Cardio as my “selective” even though I didn’t select it. I’ve built a relationship with a couple of the neurologists at my hospital (via shadowing and such) who both said they could take me on. However, my school says I can’t change. Darn

I’m very interested in neuro and it’s really been the only class that’s clicked for me. Does anybody have advice on how to move forward in the field?

Right now, I guess I’m going to try to plan my first rotation of 4th year in neuro at my home place (no neuro residency there) then do aways, and hope for the best. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're truly passionate about getting some neurology exposure early, try to have the relevant parties involved. Get the neurologists to start a conversation with the Dean. Things move along better when attendings speak to each other. If they know each other, it's even better.

It's not ideal, but many (DO) students don't have a core neurology rotation in their 3rd year. In my opinion this could partially explain why a relatively low number of DO students apply for neurology. Regardless, if you already know you're interested, I don't think the lack of 3rd year rotation should hold you back significantly. I agree with others above that maybe you can continue to fight for the rotation - but if it doesn't work out, so be it. You should be proactive in setting up rotations for early 4th year, so that you can guarantee at least one strong neurology LOR before Sept. 15 of your application year.

It's not ideal, but many (DO) students don't have a core neurology rotation in their 3rd year. In my opinion this could partially explain why a relatively low number of DO students apply for neurology. Regardless, if you already know you're interested, I don't think the lack of 3rd year rotation should hold you back significantly. I agree with others above that maybe you can continue to fight for the rotation - but if it doesn't work out, so be it. You should be proactive in setting up rotations for early 4th year, so that you can guarantee at least one strong neurology LOR before Sept. 15 of your application year.

This is true at DO schools. We usually have PM&R exposure before neurology, hence why so many DOs go into PM&R.

UPDATE: So apparently because other sites can't change their assigned rotations I can't either. So no neuro for me. However this cardio one I'm put on I already do research with the doc so that should yield a good letter at least. Do you think reaching out to the neuro faculty and trying to get in on some research or something is doable? Even just a poster or something to show interest. I just don't know how plausible that is when I'm on a different service

If you have an elective with weekends off, do a few inpatient days with the neurology team. Also, your school SUCKS. Control of others is addictive. Too bad that care and responsibility of others isn’t.