How to not fail out of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. You said everyone has a good work ethic and great study skills in a prior post. Did everyone basically know how to study like a medical student doing going in?
are you talking about: " every successful student i know has HELL of a discipline and GREAT study skills. So, make sure you are ready. "?
So, medical school is just different. I have 2 undergraduate degrees and 1 masters, so i was so arrogant to think that i knew how my brain works... apparently i didnt.... Maybe it also depends on the major. I did biochemistry and mathematics, where material is hard to understand, but the volume is not that much. Also i took some upper biology courses, like genetics, virology, advanced anatomy and physiology, - in those volume was big, but concepts were straight forward. In medical school some courses are harder than others, but volume is just INSANE. The amount of information we learn every week is simply insane compared to undergrad or other masters. And you dont just need to learn the material, you need to be able to apply it critically, and tie it together. So, it is sort of a perfect storm.
Because of this crazy load there is a very different set of resources that students use during medical school, - sketchy, pathoma, first aid, board and beyond (PM me if you want, i'll tell you more, or just google them). So most likely you will have to change your study strategy. When i said "HELL of a discipline" i mean ability to force yourself to sit down, focus and study. When i say that they have GREAT study skills, - i mean ability to use these resources effectively according to THEIR PERSONAL abilities or tendencies (not all resourses work for everyone). And no, majority of it you honestly wont know till you start medical school. So, dont worry about it before you start per se (if you are matriculating in 2 months). Now just relax, breathe, workout, do fun things. Do order first aid, - it is a reference resource. I regret not using it from the very beginning. My classmates who did did WAY better at the beginning than i did. So what you might want to consider doing, - open up a lecture, flip through powerpoint briefly, just to see what the topic is about, then go to first aid, and look through corresponding pages (this will help you understand what is high yield). THEN go to the lecture. Try that, see if it works better for you. I used to go straight to the lecture, and then i realized that i am a little lost in way too many details (phrase "cannot see forest behind the trees" comes to mind). Going from first aid and board and beyond first helped me solidify the main concepts (plus anki to memorize details i needed), so by the time i got to the lectures, i felt pretty good about the foundation of the topic, so i could actually focus on the lecture and get more out of it, because i already knew the big picture. Does it make sense?

now this is just my approach, but a lot of students use it too. I would say, start with that, but be very open minded, and flexible till you find something that works for you.

and keep telling yourself that if you got accepted, you ARE good enough. you DO deserve to be there. Imposter syndrome is real.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
But you agreed with the argument that I was “very cocky” because I mentioned that I was “hand-taking notes” (maybe that’s why I failed?), and a lot of other things not worth mentioning. It’s risible.
dont put words in my mouth. I didnt comment on hand-taking notes (btw i take notes by hand too, because i like to use crayons for color coding). I referred for the number three, - that i think that you have a wrong perception about medicine. which is why i told you OVER AND OVER again in the earlier posts to do as much shadowing in different places as you can. so come on, after i spent so much time typing up all those posts, because i am honestly trying to help people here, are you seriously going to try to pick a fight with me over something i didnt even say?

also, the "IQ" blow? thats just shallow. Yes, i am smart. A lot of people here are. I am SURE i am not the smartest. But i AM very smart. I know my strengths, i know my weakness. I am open about both. VERY open. Do you have a problem with that?

Last edited:
are you talking about: " every successful student i know has HELL of a discipline and GREAT study skills. So, make sure you are ready. "?
So, medical school is just different. I have 2 undergraduate degrees and 1 masters, so i was so arrogant to think that i knew how my brain works... apparently i didnt.... Maybe it also depends on the major. I did biochemistry and mathematics, where material is hard to understand, but the volume is not that much. Also i took some upper biology courses, like genetics, virology, advanced anatomy and physiology, - in those volume was big, but concepts were straight forward. In medical school some courses are harder than others, but volume is just INSANE. The amount of information we learn every week is simply insane compared to undergrad or other masters. And you dont just need to learn the material, you need to be able to apply it critically, and tie it together. So, it is sort of a perfect storm.
Because of this crazy load there is a very different set of resources that students use during medical school, - sketchy, pathoma, first aid, board and beyond (PM me if you want, i'll tell you more, or just google them). So most likely you will have to change your study strategy. When i said "HELL of a discipline" i mean ability to force yourself to sit down, focus and study. When i say that they have GREAT study skills, - i mean ability to use these resources effectively according to THEIR PERSONAL abilities or tendencies (not all resourses work for everyone). And no, majority of it you honestly wont know till you start medical school. So, dont worry about it before you start per se (if you are matriculating in 2 months). Now just relax, breathe, workout, do fun things. Do order first aid, - it is a reference resource. I regret not using it from the very beginning. My classmates who did did WAY better at the beginning than i did. So what you might want to consider doing, - open up a lecture, flip through powerpoint briefly, just to see what the topic is about, then go to first aid, and look through corresponding pages (this will help you understand what is high yield). THEN go to the lecture. Try that, see if it works better for you. I used to go straight to the lecture, and then i realized that i am a little lost in way too many details (phrase "cannot see forest behind the trees" comes to mind). Going from first aid and board and beyond first helped me solidify the main concepts (plus anki to memorize details i needed), so by the time i got to the lectures, i felt pretty good about the foundation of the topic, so i could actually focus on the lecture and get more out of it, because i already knew the big picture. Does it make sense?

now this is just my approach, but a lot of students use it too. I would say, start with that, but be very open minded, and flexible till you find something that works for you.

and keep telling yourself that if you got accepted, you ARE good enough. you DO deserve to be there. Imposter syndrome is real.
Thank you so much! Having your template and explanations on what worked for you really takes a lot of the stress off. I really appreciate the time you take helping everyone on sdn.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
dont put words in my mouth. I didnt comment on hand-taking notes (btw i take notes by hand too, because i like to use crayons for color coding). I referred for the number three, - that i think that you have a wrong perception about medicine. which is why i told you OVER AND OVER again in the earlier posts to do as much shadowing in different places as you can. so come one, after i spent so much time typing up all those posts, because i am honestly trying to help people here, are you seriously going to try to pick a fight with me over something i didnt even say?

also, the "IQ" blow? thats just shallow. Yes, i am smart. A lot of people here are. I am SURE i am not the smartest. But i AM very smart. I know my strengths, i know my weakness. I am open about both. VERY open. Do you have a problem with that?

Personally, based on your grammar and syntax, I doubt that your IQ is much higher than 120 (the average for a medical student is about 126). Honestly, I couldn't care less what your IQ is.

I was just referring to your agreement with the insult that I was being "quite cocky," when in fact, I was stating objective facts with genuine intentions. You insulted me first--it is only karma.

• Dislike
  • Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much! Having your template and explanations on what worked for you really takes a lot of the stress off. I really appreciate the time you take helping everyone on sdn.
i honestly want you to learn from my mistakes and do better than me. THen you can teach the next year about how to do better then you, etc.

Just remember - it will be scary and stressful, and there is nothing you can do about it. Just accept that it will be tough for a few weeks. Just order the First aid, be ready to hit the ground running. Ideally, you want to look through the presentation BEFORE THE LECTURE. then, after the lecture - solidify the material again. It really helps. Every school is different - in my school we have exams every 3 or 4 weeks and BOY you cannot image how quickly they come. It seems insane. So if you do not go through the powerpoints before the lectures you might be more stressed, because you might feel like you are falling behind.
a few weeks into semester, once you find your own way of studying, stick with it, and, once you start seeing your grades improving, you will feel more and more confident. Maybe write on the mirror in the bathroom something motivational, like "I AM good enough", or something like that. It really helps sometimes.

also, do find some upper classmates in your school, and before each subject/module starts, ask them what is the best way to study for it. They will know school specific stuff, they might have concept map or anki decks for you to download that are school specific. It is really helpful.

find some friends if you can, sometimes venting to someone who understands helps. Also, if someone tells you that they are not stressed at all, take it with a grain of salt. I noticed that a lot of people are afraid to admit when they are struggling, because they think that this means that they are not good enough to be there (imposter syndrome). While, in a way, having emotional maturity and confidence to admit when you are struggling is arguable the most important quality a doctor could ever have (would you want a doctor who tries to perform a procedure on you when they are not sure but are scared to admit it, or someone who says that they are not sure, and asks for advice from someone who knows better?).

but you will be ok. Just stay open minded, flexible, and work hard. Avoid piling up extra responsibilities the first few weeks, till you get used to the rhythm of medical school. Then, things will get better. I would say, the worst month is hard, after that - it is better. Then after first semester, you will start noticing that things start coming together. Like, right now i am going through GI questions, for example, and things from other subjects come up, and i know it already... i have no idea when i learnt it, but i saw it somewhere, and my brain just remembered it. So, trust yourself, trust your brains. Trust that you are there for a reason. Be humble, be hard-working, be ready to ask for help, and you will be more successful than you could ever imagine.

good luck.
PM if you need help.

• Love
Personally, based on your grammar and syntax, I doubt that your IQ is much higher than 120 (the average for a medical student is about 126). Honestly, I couldn't care less what your IQ is.

I was just referring to your agreement with the insult that I was being "quite cocky," when in fact, I was stating objective facts with genuine intentions. You insulted me first--it is only karma.
oh wow. hahahaha.
first of all, it is 4:30 AM. Secondly, this is my 3rd language. Third - your attitude is appalling.

i DID NOT WRITE THE "COCKY" POST. what is wrong with you??? if you disagree, attack whoever wrote it. leave me alone.

• Love
oh wow. hahahaha.
first of all, it is 4:30 AM. Secondly, this is my 3rd language. Third - your attitude is appalling.

i DID NOT WRITE THE "COCKY" POST. what is wrong with you??? if you disagree, attack whoever wrote it. leave me alone.

I actually like you. You seem honest in your intentions and helpful, I just think it was foolish of you to agree with that silly post. Anyway, thanks for the helpful information.

I actually like you. You seem honest in your intentions and helpful, I just think it was foolish of you to agree with that silly post. Anyway, thanks for the helpful information.
whomever i agree or disagree with is not the reason for you to immaturely attack me for something i havent even said. First. Secondly, - i advise against attacking people and insulting them about their accents or writing skill (especially on the forum. Really???). A lot of people are very touchy-feely about it, especially immigrants, and get very much offended about things like this.
Third - "foolish" is subjective. That person has as much right to express their opinion on the public forum as you and I.

Lastly, - when you "assign" IQ points to someone like this, you actually seem so immature and laughable, it made my night. This was definite worth WASTING over an hour (not sure how long it has been) trying to help you. Maybe that other person who was asking for studying advice got something out of it... I hope...
Anyway, in real life licensed clinical psychologist or higher is qualified to administer 1on 1 proper IQ test that is done in a dialogue format, then they write up official paperwork, that you can use to submit to Mensa, or such, that verify validity of that paperwork. Anyway, it doesnt matter.

What matters is that i am really disappointed with what you took out of the last 2 pages. Instead of using this as a learning experience you found a way to get offended about it. Instead of asking me questions that might actually help you (like that other person did later), you used this as a ground for picking up fights. Honestly, that seriously makes me question your emotional readiness for medical school.

regardless, it is really late. Good night and good luck.

• Love
If you can’t cut it in dental school you won’t make it in med school. Waste of time and money.

• Love
If you can’t cut it in dental school you won’t make it in med school. Waste of time and money.

There were certain life circumstances that prevented me from succeeding in dental school. Do you think I should avoid trying altogether?

There were certain life circumstances that prevented me from succeeding in dental school. Do you think I should avoid trying altogether?
Life always happens. It happens in school, it happens in residency, it happens as an attending. Just because you see people succeed doesn’t mean absolutely horrible things aren’t happening to them behind the scenes.

My statement still stands.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
ok, because i am trying to be a good person here, even though you attacked me several times for NOTHING, i will explain. @Tenk and @Goro are faculty. They are very good at what they do and they have a lot of experience. Tenk, Goro, gyngyn, LizzyM and a few others (no offense to anyone else, but no other names come to mind just at this moment) are like Gods here , - they are very rarely wrong. So, what they say is statistically right. Is it 100% correct when it comes to YOU specifically? They cannot possibly know for sure, of course. you are your own person. But statistically, when they say definitive statements like this it usually means that they saw people in your situation before and it was not good. Also, understand, - they are the type of people who would interview you and/or be on the admissions when you apply. When they clearly state that they think you will not make it, it means that virtually everyone probably will think exact same thing when they look at your application.

now, where do you go from here? Well, there were things about my profile that people said would prevent me from being accepted.... I listened to them... Thought about it, and did what i wanted. and had several acceptances at the end. BUT after people said that i will not get in, i was more careful, worked harder, and played safer by increasing number of applications. So, what do you do next? that is up to you. you can either go forward, but understand that most likely absolute majority of faculty and admissions will think what they think and you will HAVE to work much much harder to prove to them that they are wrong. Or you can turn away, close this door, and pursue a different career. We cannot tell you if you will succeed or not. That is on you. All i personally can do is share thoughts on alternatives, and on studying, and all faculty can do is tell you what THEIR opinion is about your future. What happens next - is your choice and your very very very hard work.

• Love

My problem was that I had completely lost touch with reality and could no longer study. I feel that if I had these problems taken care of ahead of time I could’ve succeeded.

Members don't see this ad :)
My problem was that I had completely lost touch with reality and could no longer study. I feel that if I had these problems taken care of ahead of time I could’ve succeeded.
what makes you sure your condition is under control now? What does your treating psychiatrist say about you wanting to go to medical school? You should talk to him/her. Next - think: what will be your plan if it happens again? Just because you are temporarily stable on medication does not mean it will necessarily last for a long time. You might never have problems again in your life, or you might have problems again when you get into a high stress situation of medical school, clinical rotations or residency. What are you going to do if you are a 3rd year student and it happens, and you have to drop out, but you are 100K-150K in debt? What happens if you fail your boards after 3rd year or after graduation, you are 200K in debt and cannot practice medicine? I know these questions sound very harsh, but they are important to think about.

what makes you sure your condition is under control now? What does your treating psychiatrist say about you wanting to go to medical school? You should talk to him/her. Next - think: what will be your plan if it happens again? Just because you are temporarily stable on medication does not mean it will necessarily last for a long time. You might never have problems again in your life, or you might have problems again when you get into a high stress situation of medical school, clinical rotations or residency. What are you going to do if you are a 3rd year student and it happens, and you have to drop out, but you are 100K-150K in debt? What happens if you fail your boards after 3rd year or after graduation, you are 200K in debt and cannot practice medicine? I know these questions sound very harsh, but they are important to think about.

I think that there are risks we all take whenever we decide to pursue anything. My condition began nearly 10 years ago and became gradually worse over the years. I was treated last year and have been symptom free since. My psychiatrist said I’m ready to pursue whichever goals I aim for.

Most importantly, I understand my condition now and can immediately seek treatment when I experience any symptoms now; something I couldn’t do before.

I think that there are risks we all take whenever we decide to pursue anything. My condition began nearly 10 years ago and became gradually worse over the years. I was treated last year and have been symptom free since. My psychiatrist said I’m ready to pursue whichever goals I aim for.
ok then. Then you simply have to decide if you want this to happen or not. Just decide for yourself, and do what you decided. At the end of the day, if you do something because of something one of us said DESPITE your wishes, you will hate yourself.

ok then. Then you simply have to decide if you want this to happen or not. Just decide for yourself, and do what you decided. At the end of the day, if you do something because of something one of us said DESPITE your wishes, you will hate yourself.

Thanks for the good advice.

Thanks for the good advice.
ok.

and honestly - i feel like i aged by 10 years controlling my anger when reading your personal attacks on ME while i was actually involved in this conversation, trying to be helpful. Please, dont act like this if you are trying to ask for advice. Because people will simply stop responding to you. Honestly, i have no idea why i even bother responding. I definitely owe LizzyM, gyngyn and Goro everything, so i guess i am trying to pay back, but talking to you was so disappointing and infuriating at times that it was almost not worth it. I meditate, i burn candles, i run... But none of that was enough to handle this. hahahha.

btw you definitely misunderstand what Karma means.

have a good life.

• Love
ok.

and honestly - i feel like i aged by 10 years controlling my anger when reading your personal attacks on ME while i was actually involved in this conversation, trying to be helpful. Please, dont act like this if you are trying to ask for advice. Because people will simply stop responding to you. Honestly, i have no idea why i even bother responding. I definitely owe LizzyM, gyngyn and Goro everything, so i guess i am trying to pay back, but talking to you was so disappointing and infuriating at times that it was almost not worth it. I meditate, i burn candles, i run... But none of that was enough to handle this. hahahha.

btw you definitely misunderstand what Karma means.

have a good life.

Thanks--it was nice talking to you too.

If you get into medical school, dedicate your time to ensuring that you understand the physiology so that the pathophysiology makes intuitive sense.

In my experience, if you want to do well, you need to have multiple passes through the material you learn in class. It helps if you have a strategy that is both efficient and enjoyable for you so that you can study better.

Being a good test taker, which it sounds like you are, helps too!!

Thanks--it was nice talking to you too.

I love how this thread progressed.

OP. Seems like you choose not to hear it. But I don’t think medical school is for you.

If you think that’s the wrong assessment, please take some time to get better.

Tbh, I didn’t read through the whole thread, but you kept bring up your dental school professor’s assessment of your ability and medical school. I am an attending who can easily get an academic job and have academic titles, so are many people on this forum.

Will you keep on trying? Maybe. Will you be successful? Maybe. Medical school will be here in another 2 years. I don’t think you need to push forward now. Try something else that you think you may enjoy. If in a year or two or five, you still want to do this, by all means.

Good luck. I wish for your future success.

What a wild thread. OP, start with the MCAT first and see how that goes. The DAT is super easy and not a very good metric to gauge things by. Do good on that and focus on getting your application together. You’ve likely got a lot of ducks to get into a row in order to apply so that’s the first hurdle to get over. If you can’t bring yourself to get over it, then I think you have your answer. If you do get over that hurdle, ask yourself if you can keep it up another 7 years minimum. I think those are the right questions you should ask yourself. Only you can really answer them but just make sure you’re doing so honestly.

I love how this thread progressed.

OP. Seems like you choose not to hear it. But I don’t think medical school is for you.

If you think that’s the wrong assessment, please take some time to get better.

Tbh, I didn’t read through the whole thread, but you kept bring up your dental school professor’s assessment of your ability and medical school. I am an attending who can easily get an academic job and have academic titles, so are many people on this forum.

Will you keep on trying? Maybe. Will you be successful? Maybe. Medical school will be here in another 2 years. I don’t think you need to push forward now. Try something else that you think you may enjoy. If in a year or two or five, you still want to do this, by all means.

Good luck. I wish for your future success.

I was actually leaning toward the PhD route, but now I feel like proving you all wrong. I guess medicine it is.

• Okay...
I was actually leaning toward the PhD route, but now I feel like proving you all wrong. I guess medicine it is.

Perfect.

Why did you choose medicine?
I did it out of spite for an Internet forum!

Please do remember this moment, and check in with us in a year.

Congrats!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Quick question. You said everyone has a good work ethic and great study skills in a prior post. Did everyone basically know how to study like a medical student doing going in?
Definitely not...but I think those who quickly adapt and wil
I am the one who called you cockiness. Considering you are someone who is about to fail out dental school...then you claim you scanned through step 1 material and it is conceptually easy...when majority of medical students have to study their ass off to score decent to well, don’t you think you come out as cocky? Also I hand take my note and don’t use previous class note but I still rank top few of my class aka did not fail medical school...so as others...so hence why I called those “lame excuse”...and don’t attack someone grammar and language...if you are so good why you fail? especially when you are asking for advice and this is a online forum for god sake... not English class...

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Perfect.

Why did you choose medicine?
I did it out of spite for an Internet forum!

Please do remember this moment, and check in with us in a year.

Congrats!

I’m just kidding :lol:. I do really want to go into medicine; I will determine that at the end of my Master’s program.

I am the one who called you cockiness. Considering you are someone who is about to fail out dental school...then you claim you scanned through step 1 material and it is conceptually easy...

A lot of medical students say that the information is voluminous but conceptually easy. Based on my own experiences, I would agree with them.

majority of medical students have to study their ass off to score decent to well, don’t you think you come out as cocky?

No I don't, because the information is so voluminous, and I've seen a plethora of medical students agree with this sentiment.

I hand take my note and don’t use previous class note but I still rank top few of my class aka did not fail medical school...so as others...

I was not bragging about taking hand notes. Only putting it out there so others may gauge as to whether I failed because of it.

hence why I called those “lame excuse”...and don’t attack someone grammar and language.. if you are so good why you fail? especially when you are asking for advice and this is a online forum for god sake... not English class...

It is honestly scary for me to think that someone who reasons the way you do is going to become a doctor.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Everyone’s beating around the bush so I’m just going to say it. Medical school is harder. Not only is it harder but the rigor of the medical field extends beyond medical school to residency as well whereas in dental school you only have to put up with it for 4 years.

If you are having mental health problems then switching to medical school can exacerbate your problems. Please considering taking some time off and reassessing before making a haste decision. I would hate to see you make a decision that only hurts you more. I don’t have a medical history of mental illness and I’ll tell you that medical school has made me feel more isolated socially than I’ve ever felt before.
Indeed, medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Indeed, medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

But I've resolved my mental health issues, and am firmly aware of them now.

• Okay...
But I've resolved my mental health issues, and am firmly aware of them now.
im convinced you are trolling at this point or extremely bored. I would suggest to my colleagues who are still responding to stop.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
A lot of medical students say that the information is voluminous but conceptually easy. Based on my own experiences, I would agree with them.

I don’t know which med students you talked to but the ones I do don’t think so...Your experience? What experience? You is about to fail dental school....I don’t know what experience you have to talk about step 1 here. If I was you I would stop talking now before you give us those who are actually medical students and attendings reasons why you failed other than your depression...you seem to have more problem (personality) than just your depression

Reactions: 4 users

I don’t know which med students you talked to but the ones I do don’t think so...Your experience? What experience? You is about to fail dental school....I don’t know what experience you have to talk about step 1 here. If I was you I would stop talking now before you give us those who are actually medical students and attendings reasons why you failed other than your depression...you seem to have more problem (personality) than just your depression

Then why do all these medical students agree with me?

Nothing in medical school is conceptually all that difficult, there’s just a lot of it.

"Nothing in medical school is conceptually difficult to understand. It's not quantum physics."
--Nimbus

Nothing in medical school is conceptually all that difficult, there’s just a lot of it.

medicine is not abstract or challenging conceptually and no it will never require “exceptional academic skills.”

"My Bachelors degree in Physics was more hands down conceptually difficult than med school itself."

Then why do all these medical students agree with me?

"Nothing in medical school is conceptually difficult to understand. It's not quantum physics."
--Nimbus

"My Bachelors degree in Physics was more hands down conceptually difficult than med school itself."

[/QUOTE

I am not wasting your time to argue against your case series here

• Haha

Those comments are taken out of context.

If you couldn't handle dental school then you won't be able to handle medical school. I suggest you find something else.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Those comments are taken out of context.

If you couldn't handle dental school then you won't be able to handle medical school. I suggest you find something else.

What context were they taken out of? They seemed to mean exactly what they said, that medicine is not conceptually difficult. In fact, it's hard to imagine how they could have meant anything other than that.

I think it's gone on long enough, kids:
:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

Trolling = saying stuff you don't like

Status
Not open for further replies.