How to not give up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OPPforlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well Guys for the past few days this forum has been pretty depressing. Although, I have no idea how much medical school is going to suck (I start in August :eek:), one thing I used to do during undergrad was watch these super motivational sports commercials haha (I credit this for me being able to get through engineering). Well heres a list a of some of my favs. I am hoping some of you out there will enjoy them or even find them useful. If you know of other videos, please share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woOu_4l3lio&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVvNGJNaj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBZ41NyNZj8

personal favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHyXdyRXMsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJvW9zsRiyQ

Members don't see this ad.

ambition.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
A word of caution here: If you go into medical school expecting the worse, you will definitely find it. If you go into medical school with the attitude that you will roll with the punches and learn what you need to become a physician, then you will get through with few problems.

Medical school was interesting, a challenge at times, fun and a great source of folks that are my respected colleagues. If you expect to be entertained and pumped up all the time, then you will likely find disappointment. Medical school is professional school and nothing more or less. You won't become a great human coming out unless you were a great human coming in. My favorite line is " What do you get when you send an a--hole to medical school?" You get a--hole, MD.

Chill out and play with your little exercises if you must but don't make medical school out to be some life-changing mind expansion as it is not. What got you there will get you through with minor adjustments. It's quite similiar to undergraduate university in most cases and medical school moves fast. Keep your stuff in order and you will be done sooner than you think. If you want to be depressed over something, be depressed over the amount of money you are likely to owe at the end otherwise, find something interesting to do with your summer because it's going to be over soon.

A word of caution here: If you go into medical school expecting the worse, you will definitely find it. If you go into medical school with the attitude that you will roll with the punches and learn what you need to become a physician, then you will get through with few problems.

Medical school was interesting, a challenge at times, fun and a great source of folks that are my respected colleagues. If you expect to be entertained and pumped up all the time, then you will likely find disappointment. Medical school is professional school and nothing more or less. You won't become a great human coming out unless you were a great human coming in. My favorite line is " What do you get when you send an a--hole to medical school?" You get a--hole, MD.

Chill out and play with your little exercises if you must but don't make medical school out to be some life-changing mind expansion as it is not. What got you there will get you through with minor adjustments. It's quite similiar to undergraduate university in most cases and medical school moves fast. Keep your stuff in order and you will be done sooner than you think. If you want to be depressed over something, be depressed over the amount of money you are likely to owe at the end otherwise, find something interesting to do with your summer because it's going to be over soon.
That's a great post (like usual).

At this point, I have been worried about what I will have to deal with a few weeks from now. It is a horrible mentality that I have had as I have been very tentative when dealing with friends and family, So much so that I actually pushed a few people away.

I really think that the best thing to do is not expect the worst, yet realize that things will get tough at times during med school. See things for what they are, and like Njbmd said, go with the flow; take the good with the bad not because it is med school but simply because that is generally what you need to do to get by.

Completely agree with njbmd in the idea of going with the flow of med school. Having said that, I expected the worst and I think that helped me. I don't mean in a "I'm going to hate this" sort of way, but rather in a "I'll be studying all the time and I hope to just pass the first year" way. So, when I got to med school and actually had some free time and did fine grade-wise, I was pretty happy about it rather than disappointed if I had expected to go out all the time and get honors in everything. If you expect the worst but hope for the best, it's hard for school to surprise you in a negative way.

haha great advice man, im loving the inspirational vids

As soon as I mentioned med school to my PCP, he perked up and said he went to UVa, and that he had a great time.

Your positivity about it all reflects his too. There must be something about the environment there that is really positive. UVa is def getting an app from me when I apply to schools.

As soon as I mentioned med school to my PCP, he perked up and said he went to UVa, and that he had a great time.

Your positivity about it all reflects his too. There must be something about the environment there that is reallny positive. UVa is def getting an app from me when I apply to schools.

Keep in mind two things:
1- it is much easier to talk about how "not so bad" something was after it's done. I look at back at 1st and 2nd year and step 1 and say they were all doable. That if I could go back I wouldn't stress much. when you are going through it, however, it will be tough.

2- I think it's best to walking to expect to work more than you ever imagined possible, and for the end result of passing. If you walk expecting moderate work with straight A's, you will likely be very disappointed if you get by with straight C's and working your butt off.

Finally, attitude plays a big role. The way you view and handle things will impact how you feel about med school, and how you perform.

It depends what kind of "expect the worst" you mean. If you mean the kind that you think you will be miserable, you think you will hate everything, and you think it is just a hurdle to get through to be a doctor then yes, you'll probably be miserable. If you think of expecting the worst as lots of hard work and sacrifice and having very little free time then you can only be surprised. I think it is important to learn when to cut yourself off. There is a point where that extra hour really isn't worth spending to jam a few extra facts in your head. Going to exercise or going on a date or something will be much more beneficial. If you go in expecting A's without serious work then you will be humbled.

don't make medical school out to be some life-changing mind expansion as it is not.

Damn it... and here I was hoping it would be like exiting the Matrix.

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
You're the Best - Joe Esposito
Pokemon Theme - Billy Crawford

freakin awesome video...what jordan did at 0:40...no one does or can do for that matter!

Jordan is the GOAT for his originality and innovative style, but I dunno if I'd go so far as saying NO ONE can do that now. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxcunGc_nA

I found it when I tried to find out the song from the other video. The guy in the green does it.

Jordan is the GOAT for his originality and innovative style, but I dunno if I'd go so far as saying NO ONE can do that now. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxcunGc_nA

I found it when I tried to find out the song from the other video. The guy in the green does it.

Do you even know what Jordan moment I am talking about? I am willing to bet my med school loans that none of those kids can dunk a missed free throw on its way out...not in the NBA that is.

Sometimes it blows my mind how much you are the man.

Do you even know what Jordan moment I am talking about? I am willing to bet my med school loans that none of those kids can dunk a missed free throw on its way out...not in the NBA that is.

Why you gotta hate on them kids?!

Ok no, I thought you were talking about the flying. I'm sorry if the flying didn't impress you enough... but it still gives me shivers.

The biggest trap for me during first year was starting to look at it as just another hurdle and forgetting to enjoy the moment for what it was. I got trapped in the "I just have to get thru this" mode which made me far more miserable than I needed to be. As soon as I recognized this and tried to just enjoy learning for the sake of learning. Even if I was overwhelmed and being forced to learn things that didn't seem clinically relevant I could find enjoyment in the camaraderie of my fellow classmates as we went through it together, in the sense of accomplishment at the end of each day, in being able to look back on all I'd learned in the past few months and be blown away by what my mind is capable of. Even in the hardest moments there is usually some positive (often humor and friendship) to hold on to which helps me stay sane and able to focus and motivate.