How to obtain a PD LOR for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwiggy900

Reaction score
So I have an anesthesia rotation coming up and was wondering what the best way of approaching the PD of the program? I was thinking of sending an email to set up a meeting, but am unsure what to even talk about at the meeting, should I have some questions prepared? I apologize if this is a silly question, I don't think PD's regularly write letters for applicants at my school, unless I am just really out of touch.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a letter from my chair. I just walked up to him and introduced myself, told him I'm doing a rotation and that I would be applying soon.

So I have an anesthesia rotation coming up and was wondering what the best way of approaching the PD of the program? I was thinking of sending an email to set up a meeting, but am unsure what to even talk about at the meeting, should I have some questions prepared? I apologize if this is a silly question, I don't think PD's regularly write letters for applicants at my school, unless I am just really out of touch.

The key to good letters is having more than a single encounter so someone actually gets to know you and can say exactly how familiar they are with you in your letter. The most logical approach is to use your mentor/advisor that your school sets you up with first year. Make a meeting with them. Discuss what specialty you like and why. See if they have any contacts. If you ask for advice or contacts, take it and follow up with the person that gave the advice to let them know you listened and how taking their advice went.

Ask your advisor and the class above you who the go to people for letters are in the field you’re applying to. There are good letter writers and weak letter writers every step of the career path from applying to med school, residency, and even for fellowship/private practice placement. Advisors, even in a separate specialty, often know who writes good letters, or at least have contacts that may know that information. At my MD school without a residency program, there were a few anesthesiologists that liked working with students. There was also an prominent ICU doc known for good letters that students enjoyed working with.

This is the ground work you need to do as early as you know what specialty you will be applying for. The Pd has met with medical students applying to the specialty before. Not all medical students will take the time to set up formal contact which should help your case. The PD will likely want to know what your exposure is to anesthesia and why you think you would be a good fit. They will want to know what region you are looking to apply to and how competitive you are. They will also likely inquire about your plan for letters. They likely know you are there hoping for a letter from them. If they don’t write letters, that’s fine. They will probably be able to refer you to someone who can help.

The overwhelming majority of people who become program directors are there because they want to help. Don’t take it personally if people challenge your reasons for why you want to go into a certain speciality. This is interview practice. It may not seem like it but they are gently reinforcing what you should or should not say during actual interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
The above reply sums it up. I would try to work with the PD on several occasions so he/she can write a good LOR, not just a templates one. But you’re gonna have to show enthusiasm and at least some knowledge.... so pick up a book before the rotation and go through it. And show up on time/early.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much everyone for your detailed responses! I really appreciate it, I will look into these things