How to optimize your brain/memory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evoviiigsr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading that you retain information better if you learn the material at maximum blood oxygen and glucose levels. If you did not learn the material this way, then raising those levels would not help retain the information any better. Nonetheless, I presume that the brain would function more efficiently with these 2 levels maximized. Thing is, oxygen levels peak for like 5 minutes after exercise, so the only thing that is controllable over longer periods of time is glucose levels, maybe oxygen tanks? hmm... Drinking a high glucose drink (Ultra Fuel) 30 mins before studying should help, peaking for about 1 hour and returning to baseline after about 3 hours. Glucose has been shown to increase acetylcholine levels. What do you think of drinking glucose before every section? Could that cause too much sugar in the blood? Crashing shouldn't be a problem as long as you get a break every 1.5 hours or so.

A. B. Scholey, Mark C. Moss, Keith Wesnes. Oxygen and cognitive performance: the temporal relationship between hyperoxia and enhanced memory. J of Psychopharmacology

Messier C. Glucose improvement of memory: a review. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004 Apr 19;490(1-3):33-57.

Meikle, A., Riby, L.M. & Stollery, B. (2004). The impact of glucose ingestion and gluco-regulatory control on cognitive performance: A comparison of younger and middle-aged adults. H. Psychopharm.: Clinical & Experimental, 19, 523-535.

Members don't see this ad.

might create dependence... might as well go all out; speed/weed mix can't be beat

I don't think you need to get too wrapped into all of this. Just be smart about studying... make sure you've eaten well, you've got enough sleep, etc.

We're going to be taking tests for our whole lives... it's impractical to constantly be wary of oxygen and glucose levels before every exam.

1) study
2) take the exam
3)???
4) profit!!!!