How to overcome self doubt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a soon to be junior who's done horribly the 3/4 semesters of college. This past semester is when I decided to actually start taking school more seriously and I got the following grades:

• 200 level bio class: A-
  • Orgo 2: B- (1 point away from a B...)
  • Orgo 2 lab: B-
  • Gen ed: B
  • Gen ed: A
  • 1 credit bio class: A-

Overall I had a 3.28 this past semester which still isn't good enough but better than anything I've had before. I have to retake gen chem 1, chem lab 1, micro, and orgo 1 (orgo only due to a stupid misunderstanding).

After this semester I have a 2.77 overall GPA and a 2.33 science GPA. The thing is I just feel like I'll never dig myself out of the hole I'm in. I'm in this situation because of my immaturity and lack of discipline/studying but now I just don't have faith in myself to do well in the future classes. I'm not going to give up but there's this voice in the back of my head that says I can't do it even though logically I don't think that's the case.

How do you guys get over self-doubt?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this will help, but I use to have a lot of self doubt and therefore fluctuated in grades as well. Please know that first of all.. you have to believe in yourself, if no one else will! To motivate myself, I wrote a note to myself telling myself that I can do this, who I am doing this for, and kept a picture of my family/loved ones to remind me why I was going through so much (painful) studying just to get somewhere - a brighter future for myself, my family, the community.
Give it your all! You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I also listened to some self-help podcasts and made a routine for myself - taking care of myself physically by exercising, eating right, treating myself to resting. You are capable, as you have proven to get some As in your classes. Keep the upward trend going and take one semester at a time. If you worry too much about the future you'll freak yourself out (as I did).

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing that can be undone, just recognize you have 4 more semesters + a possible masters/post bacc to raise the GPA. Stay locked in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user