How to overcome this problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deddy117

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know why but every time I don't do well on an exam, i feel so upset and can't focus on other classes. I study a lot and I don't expect to get low exam scores. I mean, I am a senior and I have a pretty good GPA right now and even after taking so many tests throughout my undergrad career, I still can't get the feeling off my chest.

I am just afraid that in dental school this will become a problem If I fail a class or even just a test. (I have never failed a class or a test but I have once or twice gotten a not so good grade on the first exams but bounced back and passed the class with good grades.

how can I tell myself to relax that one test isn't THE end of the world?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know why but every time I don't do well on an exam, i feel so upset and can't focus on other classes. I study a lot and I don't expect to get low exam scores. I mean, I am a senior and I have a pretty good GPA right now and even after taking so many tests throughout my undergrad career, I still can't get the feeling off my chest.

I am just afraid that in dental school this will become a problem If I fail a class or even just a test. (I have never failed a class or a test but I have once or twice gotten a not so good grade on the first exams but bounced back and passed the class with good grades.

It can be pretty normal for anyone to feel 'bad' after a not-so-great exam. You just have to brush it off and not worry about it... it'll happen from time to time as I'm sure everyone has failed a test or two in our college years. If you are a good student and prepare adequately, you should end up with a decent or good grade in the course so one test isn't going to mean a failure. I think you really need to try to get over this feeling, because it's important when taking the DAT to focus only on the section you're currently taking, meaning don't worry about past sections and how you did on them.

Good luck! :luck:

Pretend like everything is alright, or eat something really yummy, that's what I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not healthy but I just get wasted that night and then the next day I start focusing on whatever I have to do next.

Go for a run/good workout. It is unbelievable how much perspective you can get in an hour - it really does clear your mind.

its been my experience that people who study in dental school pass the curriculum (notice I didn't say "study hard").... the difference is, you maybe not be at the top rank of ur class, but you sure as heck will pass.

Don't sweat the small stuff - words to live by. One test won't make or break you. Do your best and you will have no regrets. Be your best self.

(Just general advice I've picked up over the years.)

Usually if I screw up a test I go play like 3-4 games of pick-up then take a shower and get some Chipotle. Don't focus on class immediately afterward - each dental student I have talked to told me that avoiding burnout is critical to your success in dental school. The same can be said for undergrad as well. It sounds counterintuitive, but if you are getting so nervous that it is affecting your grades, try less (sort of). So generally, try to be efficient in your studies to minimize your time in study, then have a short memory when it comes to bad tests.

Correct me if im wrong but in dental school, as long as you pass the test, you grade doesn't matter.

Correct me if im wrong but in dental school, as long as you pass the test, you grade doesn't matter.
In a nutshell... yes.

there is alot of pride issues, people like to perform well to feel good about themselves, or they think they wanna specialize afterwards, all are valid reasons. But, simply passing the curriculum with C-'s is fine too. Ultimately, the real performance is judged on how you perform AFTER you graduate and land your first gig

Ive been known to get upset after an exam but what I do is just let it go and focus on doing well in the next exam, I focus on giving it my all. Study more efficiently and always try to balance my life with healthy eating, exercise and fun activities. School should only be a part of your life not your whole life. Try I balance getting upset with sound something good for yourself and your body. I use "failure" to motivate me to be better than my past.
Good luck!