You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How to pay for medical school?
Started by Horsiegirl101
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take out your own loans.
Do you just go to any loan place that has decent % and say I am here for medical school loans, can I have 50k? Of course that isn't how it goes but I am curious.By the time you would go to medical school you'll take out loans on your own just like everyone else. No need for parental cosigners in most cases
Do you just go to any loan place that has decent % and say I am here for medical school loans, can I have 50k? Of course that isn't how it goes but I am curious.
Ummmm, no...Just stick to FAFSA. All the cool kids are doing it.
Ummmm, no...Just stick to FAFSA. All the cool kids are doing it.
If all the cool kids told you to jump off a cliff would you do that too?
If all the cool kids told you to jump off a cliff would you do that too?
That depends, are they jumping too?
That depends, are they jumping too?
Only the ones with student loans
Sorry, I googled it and all I found was that you will "take out loans", which is obvious.You fill out a FAFSA and borrow it from the government just like everyone else. Your school will have a financial aid department that coordinates everything.
Seriously did you guys asking this question not even Google this first?
Sorry, I googled it and all I found was that you will "take out loans", which is obvious.
You may need to improve your Googling skills a bit...
Alright sorry I guess.You may need to improve your Googling skills a bit...
You can borrow the entire tuition, fees and cost of living estimate if you have to. Of course that's how people end up $300k+ in debt after private medical school.
You could also join the military and get an HPSP scholarship. Though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some interest in military service.
You could also join the military and get an HPSP scholarship. Though I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some interest in military service.
Why are you being a dick to someone just asking a question?You may need to improve your Googling skills a bit...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why are you being a dick to someone just asking a question?
to make you mad. did it work?
YES!!to make you mad. did it work?
In all seriousness, scholarships if you can get them and federal loans are probably the best way to go if you and your family can't pay. They are good because unlike normal loans you don't have to start paying anything back until you graduate, and even then you don't have to for a while (though this will mean you'll pay more in the long run). Once you're a doctor, paying back loans won't be a problem. The problem will be how long it takes to pay them back.
I worked in my gap year and have enough saved up to live off for first year. I am borrowing my first year's tuition from my parents. I'll still have to pay them back the 43k I borrowed, but I won't have to pay the 25-40k in interest that would potentially come with the fed loan.
I worked in my gap year and have enough saved up to live off for first year. I am borrowing my first year's tuition from my parents. I'll still have to pay them back the 43k I borrowed, but I won't have to pay the 25-40k in interest that would potentially come with the fed loan.
Loans are available.
Nobody doesn't go to medical bc they can't get loans, barring crazy financial situations.
Nobody doesn't go to medical bc they can't get loans, barring crazy financial situations.
I can think of five ways to fund medical school:
1) Pay out of pocket
2) Scholarships
3) Loans
4) Military
5) MD/PhD
The vast majority of people take out loans. Only the very wealthy can pay out of pocket, although it helps to supplement loan or scholarship income with whatever you can. Scholarships are excellent if you are offered one, but full-tuition packages are rare even for exceptional candidates. Both the military and MD/PhD paths need to be considered very carefully because they take up years of your life, and will be miserable unless you have a genuine desire to join the military or work in research.
1) Pay out of pocket
2) Scholarships
3) Loans
4) Military
5) MD/PhD
The vast majority of people take out loans. Only the very wealthy can pay out of pocket, although it helps to supplement loan or scholarship income with whatever you can. Scholarships are excellent if you are offered one, but full-tuition packages are rare even for exceptional candidates. Both the military and MD/PhD paths need to be considered very carefully because they take up years of your life, and will be miserable unless you have a genuine desire to join the military or work in research.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 3K
- Question
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 945
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 3K