how to pay for Pre-reqs

Started by MaryWrathers
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

M

MaryWrathers

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Before I call my financial aid office I wanted to see if anyone here would give me some advice/help.
I will be graduating w/ a B.S. this December and plan on taking pre-reqs in the next 2 years in hopes of applying to med school.

Do I have to apply as a degree seeking student to be eligible for financial aid for the pre-reqs?
This would mean I would apply for a B.S. in bio or something even though I won't complete it, right?

Am I eligible for federal grants?

How about subsidized loans?

I already have subsidized loans right now. I was wondering if I would be allowed to continue to apply and receive them. They are stafford subsidized loans.

Thank you!
 
Hello,

I was in a simular situation as you. I graduated in 2000 w/ a BA and then returned to school in 2002 to get the pre-reqs. I applied (and attended) Michigan State University as a second bachelors degree seeking student. This allowed me to get Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans. I didn't get federal grants, but I did get a couple hundred of dollars in University Grants.

Just like you, I never intended to complete the second bachelor's degree. But I didn't tell the Financial Aid office, since you need to be degree-seeking to receive loans.

Good luck!