How to phrase my piano skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmagnet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been playing the piano since I was in 6th grade. However I have not consecutively played or been trained since then. Basically I know how to play a few medium-hard songs and I do not have too much interest in learning anything else. So on my "manual dexterity" does this count as playing the piano? I suck at sight reading..but I can pretty much play anything if you give me time and I can write out the notes (as letters). On my application how could I express this without being so blunt? Has anyone else claimed to play an instrument that they have not really come close to mastering but they can play a few intermediate level songs?

Also as a child (3-5th grade) I played the clarinet and the viola. I would not put this on my application since I only have a basic understanding of the instrument and haven't picked it up since 6th grade or so.

Members don't see this ad.

it won't help you but won't hurt you either.
just remember that they can ask you what you can play or how good you are in piano during the interview.

They asked me about my drum skills during one of my interview because one of the faculty member used to play semi-professionally.

Try not to write things just to fill in the spaces.

maybe something like... you played intensively for X number of years, and recreationally up til now too....

just a suggestion....

just be careful.... don't schmooze the truth... if they find out, you're screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been playing the piano since I was in 6th grade. However I have not consecutively played or been trained since then. Basically I know how to play a few medium-hard songs and I do not have too much interest in learning anything else. So on my "manual dexterity" does this count as playing the piano? I suck at sight reading..but I can pretty much play anything if you give me time and I can write out the notes (as letters). On my application how could I express this without being so blunt? Has anyone else claimed to play an instrument that they have not really come close to mastering but they can play a few intermediate level songs?

Also as a child (3-5th grade) I played the clarinet and the viola. I would not put this on my application since I only have a basic understanding of the instrument and haven't picked it up since 6th grade or so.

Hi,

You are taking the "manual dexterity" thing way way too seriously! Just say " I play piano as a hobby" is good enough. You are applying to dental school, not as a principle pianist for Chicago Symphony. Oh, BTW you need to mention that you used to play clarinet and viola too. On my interview, I told the professor that I sing in the shower and play the radio . See I still get in ... DP

Hi,

You are taking the "manual dexterity" thing way way too seriously! Just say " I play piano as a hobby" is good enough. You are applying to dental school, not as a principle pianist for Chicago Symphony. Oh, BTW you need to mention that you used to play clarinet and viola too. On my interview, I told the professor that I sing in the shower and play the radio . See I still get in ... DP

haha thank you for the response!! You're right...it is just a hobby. As far as the whole clarinet/viola thing..I could say, "I attended a magnet school for the arts as a child where I learned to play the clarinet and \viola. As a middle school student in a performing arts school, I focused my attention to the piano. Now it has become more of a hobby than a focus."

send them a youtube link of yourself playing it

I had never thought this would come up in an interview but in one, the interviewer asked me which of the instruments I play is my favorite. (I play flute/piccolo, trumpet, guitar/bass -- this wasn't in my PS but rather under my hobbies, I think offhand) ... I had never really thought too much about it so I was caught a little off-guard by it.

Ahahah, I had a question about hobbys and stuff like that and I told the interviewer that I taught myself guitar when I was 16 (which is true). This was at the laid-back Ohio State interview and he looks at me straight faced and says,

"That's nice but are you any good?"

I didn't flinch and I said "I'm amazing, its a shame you'll never hear me play." We both had a good laugh then.

In other words - relax, you can have fun in your interview, and they can't look it up, just say you've been playing the piano since 6th grade.

Ahahah, I had a question about hobbys and stuff like that and I told the interviewer that I taught myself guitar when I was 16 (which is true). This was at the laid-back Ohio State interview and he looks at me straight faced and says,

"That's nice but are you any good?"

I didn't flinch and I said "I'm amazing, its a shame you'll never hear me play." We both had a good laugh then.

In other words - relax, you can have fun in your interview, and they can't look it up, just say you've been playing the piano since 6th grade.

haha great answer. I don't know if I would have the guts to say that. But I totally get your point. Thanks for the advice!!

I'll play them some Alicia Keys and sing to them. You think that will work? Nah..