How to raise my GPA as a post-undergrad graduate student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curicat

Reaction score
Hi, I hope everyone is well and safe!
I am in preparation to apply to dental school and I am writing this in the hope of getting some advice on how I should proceed with my plan.
I graduated from CUNY with a biology degree with an overall GPA and a sci GPA of 2.7.
I want to increase my GPA from 2.7 to 3.0 and I was wondering if taking 3 biology classes(12 credits) from CUNY as a non-degree student would help raise my overall and sci GPA to 3.0.
Or would post bacc program be better?
Also, the grades I receive as a non-degree student, how would those grades and credits included in my current status? Is it a separate grade from my undergraduate GPA or get included in my undergraduate GPA?

If it is not possible to raise my GPA with several bio classes, then would a high DAT score(23 and up) would give the admissions committee confidence that I could pass their curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read

Fill out a WAMC profile template to help us. Your low sGPA justifies going for a dental special masters program for the most effective way to demonstrate readiness for dental school. (Postbac undergrad grades post-BA/BS will not bump your science/BCP GPA unless you took no prereqs beforehand).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I hope everyone is well and safe!
I am in preparation to apply to dental school and I am writing this in the hope of getting some advice on how I should proceed with my plan.
I graduated from CUNY with a biology degree with an overall GPA and a sci GPA of 2.7.
I want to increase my GPA from 2.7 to 3.0 and I was wondering if taking 3 biology classes(12 credits) from CUNY as a non-degree student would help raise my overall and sci GPA to 3.0.
Or would post bacc program be better?
Also, the grades I receive as a non-degree student, how would those grades and credits included in my current status? Is it a separate grade from my undergraduate GPA or get included in my undergraduate GPA?

I would love to get some ideas and advice for my situation, thank you!
grades are included in your undergraduate gpa
it's going to be difficult to pull up your gpas since you already have a ton of credits if you have already graduated...

12 credits I don’t think would put a very big dent on the GPA if you’ve already graduated. Would maybe move up .05-0.1 points but you may want to run the math if you can. You’d probably want to do a post bacc of 30 credits which if you get As, would put more of dent in the GPA and give schools more confidence in you passing their curriculum

Reactions: 2 users