How to politely ask for financial aid info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
None of the schools I've been accepted to have given me any information on financial aid yet. My state school would be the cheapest, but there's a different school I'd like to attend. Is there a template somewhere or any idea of how to construct a polite and professional email asking for financial aid updates so that I can make my decision? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to note, no school is required at all to send any financial aid info prior to committing to acceptance.

I know they aren't required, this is why I want to take the initiative and ask. However, I want to sound professional and polite. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
[INSERT QUESTION/REQUEST]. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
@CaptainPoopyPants

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
[INSERT QUESTION/REQUEST]. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
@CaptainPoopyPants

The question should be "when do you expect to release financaid offers to admitted students? Is there anything you would need from me, besides the FAFSA, to prepare a financial aid package?"

Reactions: 3 users
None of the schools I've been accepted to have given me any information on financial aid yet. My state school would be the cheapest, but there's a different school I'd like to attend. Is there a template somewhere or any idea of how to construct a polite and professional email asking for financial aid updates so that I can make my decision? Thanks.
I totally get being anxious and wanting to be in a position to make a decision and start planning, but, if nobody has given you anything yet and you don't have to make a decision until the end of April, why not try waiting until maybe the beginning of April and revisit then versus risking irritating them by asking for something 10 weeks before you need need it? Don't you think they know that you are anxiously waiting for it?

What would be really great would be to be in a position to say school X gave me Y, but I'd really like to be able to go to your school -- when do you expect to release your packages? You really can't do that until your schools start releasing their packages, but it's not like they have them ready to go and they're just waiting for people to ask for them! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users