how to politely decline an interview offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
let's say your interview schedule is already full or you have second thoughts about the program and you get an interview invite email/message

do you have a go-to response? "thanks for the opportunity however after consideration....blah blah"

should you say you don't think the program is a right fit? the location doesn't work?
how can you phrase this in a way not to burn any bridges especially in a smaller knit field?

or do you just withdraw your application without saying anything (this doesnt seem like the right answer)

Members don't see this ad.

"Dear (Program coordinator),

I no longer plan to attend my interview on ____. I wanted to let you know as early as possible so that another candidate may have the opportunity. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Borrow"

Don't make it complicated. Also why would you be cancelling interviews 4 days after ERAS opened? I thought most programs hadn't even really begun offering interviews yet..

Reactions: 3 users
Just be honest with the program--definitely don't lie/tell a white lie. Be honest and respectful. The honest truth is most programs could care less if you decline the interview--they don't actually know you, and they have lots of others they can invite if you cancel, so it's not the same thing as say, canceling a date where you know someone is really interested in just you.

I declined a few interviews because I had others scheduled (if your schedule is full--say so!) and cancelled one or two because I got late offers from top choices. I was able to reschedule one--most coordinators are really nice and helpful--I was honest with one I was really interested in their program as well as a program that gave me an interview offer for just one specific day, and she was happy to reschedule me so I could attend both interviews. Coordinators know that for logistical reasons, some people may need to shuffle things around and/or just not be able to make things work.

If you cancel a week or less in advance, CALL the coordinator--they will greatly appreciate it and so will whatever fellow applicant that's been waiting for an interview offer for that program.

It's awfully early in the cycle to be declining interviews. If it's a scheduling issue, it may be worth contacting the program to see if other dates are available. But if you've just decided you'd rather not go there for some reason, a quick email withdrawing yourself will suffice.

I sent something like
Hi Ms. Coordinator,

I wanted to follow up. Unfortunately, I have some conflicts and would like to cancel the scheduled interview.

I appreciate the time taken to review my application and wish you all the best in recruiting an excellent class for the coming year.

Thank you,
Raryn

Alternatively, if I hadn't scheduled it yet, i'd just change that first line to "Unfortunately, I am unable to schedule the interview at your program at this time."