How to politely withdraw acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hales1120

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been super blessed this cycle to receive two acceptances thus far. I would like to withdraw acceptance from one school as I already know I would rather attend the other and would like to give my spot to someone else. Will an email suffice? Do I need to give a reason?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"While I very much appreciate the offer of admission, I have been fortunate enough to receive admission to another institution that is a better fit for me and thus must rescind blah blah I wish you the best in filling your class with a qualified and talented group of blah blah and again I would like to thank you for your time throughout the interview season." Just something like that, move along, it's nbd

Reactions: 8 users
Email suffices. You do not have to give a reason, but I have opted to in the past, to show respect.

"I am sincerely thankful for the opportunity to attend your program. However, I gained acceptance at another program that I believe is a better fit, so must turn down your offer. I wish you the best in filling the class with excellent candidates!"

Maybe some people prefer more brevity. But what I wrote above is along the lines of how I have turned down interview invites.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I don't think you need to provide a reason. Look up the school's policy on their website (some let you withdraw directly on the portal, some require emails). If you send an email, just make sure that it is super polite as you don't want to burn any bridges for residency!
This school doesn't have a portal so I'll have to go with email!

"I would politely like to withdraw my acceptance".

Reactions: 1 users
just don't pay the dawn deposit; they get the ideas

"Dear Admin Dude,

I got in somewhere better. Suck it :p

Sincerely,
Hales"

:D

Reactions: 1 user