How to prep for RCPSC anatomical pathology exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterPanic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian that have done AP residency and cytopathology fellowship in the US.
Planning to write the Royal College AP exam next spring and everybody is telling me it's much harder than the American ABP board exam. Biggest challenge the short question format vs. MCQ.
I'd much appreciate any advice about the exam, especially:

- How to prep for the exam? Any courses folks in Canada usually take?
- What is the recommended reading material?
- Any tips for the exam itself.

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take/pass the ABP exam? My understanding from talking with Canadian friends (physicians, but not pathologists) is that an American boarded specialty is satisfactory to qualify for Canadian licensure. So, if RCPSC is more difficult why not take the easier of the two as long as it gets you your medical license?

It's complicated. Yes, I'm taking the ABP, but if you want to practice in Canada you have to write the RCPSC exam, sooner or later, for an unrestricted license. Figured to write the exam as the knowledge is still fresh.

Did you take/pass the ABP exam? My understanding from talking with Canadian friends (physicians, but not pathologists) is that an American boarded specialty is satisfactory to qualify for Canadian licensure. So, if RCPSC is more difficult why not take the easier of the two as long as it gets you your medical license?

Canadian Association of Pathologists Resident Review Course: RRC 2021 | Online Course

Review book for Canadian exam: Amazon product

Fortunately for you, it looks like you won't have to do the oral exam.

Unfortunately for you, the review course will be online; it would help your prep to network with Canadian residents currently preparing for the exam.

You could try to get a job with some kind of supervised license at a university hospital and study with the residents there.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user