How to prepare as a MS1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joker88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know much about the residency application process and was just curious as to what residencies look for as a medical student? I know research is important for some residences but what else? Holding leadership positions, working in clinics ect? I'm just wondering as how to prepare throughout medical school and am trying to find a few things that I am interested in to focus on as a student.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know much about the residency application process and was just curious as to what residencies look for as a medical student? I know research is important for some residences but what else? Holding leadership positions, working in clinics ect? I'm just wondering as how to prepare throughout medical school and am trying to find a few things that I am interested in to focus on as a student.

Spend some time reading these forums. Basically it boils down to:

Step 1 score
3rd yr clerkship grades
letters of recommendation
research/community service etc. depending on specialty

Otherwise, become involved in things you are interested in and passionate about and try not to become a jaded med student.

Last edited:

Spend some time reading these forums. Basically it boils down to:

Step 1 score
3rd yr clerkship grades
letters of recommendation
research/community service etc. depending on specialty

Otherwise, become involved in things you are interested in and passionate about and try not to become a jaded med student.

Step 1 ~ 3rd year grades
LORs
Everything else.

Now that said, step 1/grades/LORs get you in the door. If you have something interesting to talk about (interests, community service, research) it will make your interviews that much easier. So yes, LORs and step 1 and grades are very important but don't underestimate how being well rounded looks.

A guy with a 250, all honrs, good LORs and no other extra curricular activities will look just fine on paper. The guy with a 250, all honrs, good LORs and interesting activities will seem like a superstart in comparison though.

At the end of the day, don't let your ECs make your grades worse but do something in terms of ECs. You can wait until your M2 year to start. Make sure you have a solid foundation during M1 before you go nuts on ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the ECs go, do they all have to be related to the field that you're interested in? For instance, if you want to do surgery but volunteer your time in a free clinic that has you doing more primary care work, will that be looked down upon?

As far as the ECs go, do they all have to be related to the field that you're interested in? For instance, if you want to do surgery but volunteer your time in a free clinic that has you doing more primary care work, will that be looked down upon?

Looked down upon? No.

But if you know you are interested in surgery then you might want to use that knowledge to guide your EC choices. Like was stated above, your EC's can make for conversation in interviews which is a plus.

It is nice to have ECs in the field you go into. However, so many people change their mind during third year that many (most?) applicants have some ECs in one or more fields other than the one they go into.

The interviewers also understand that you are busy studying during medical school. They don't expect you have a lot of time intensive interviews. Most people have one or two things they are passionate and a bunch of normal free clinic and student interest group stuff. I did an MD/PhD and have spent more time talking about a) my dog and b) an activity from college during my interviews than my research or my medically related ECs.

I was actually wondering something similar. I've been working in EM for the past 5 years now. Hospital EDs as well as a fire dept( ALS ambulance). I was trying to figure out now how that would look if I stayed in the ED PRN( 16hrs a month) and at the firehouse( maybe 12 a month) through med school. I have my heart set on emergency medicine. Would those look better than volunteering at clinics or research?

Didn't mean to hijack

Last edited:
I was actually wondering something similar. I've been working in EM for the past 5 years now. Hospital EDs as well as a fire dept( ALS ambulance). I was trying to figure out now how that would look if I stayed in the ED PRN( 16hrs a month) and at the firehouse( maybe 12 a month) through med school. I have my heart set on emergency medicine. Would those look better than volunteering at clinics or research?

Didn't mean to hijack

I also worked in Fire/EMS (Firemedic and Flight medic) for almost 6yrs and will prob end up in EM. Continuing working is def doable during med school, I pulled shifts almost every other weekend during M1 (except before exams).

It all depends on the type and depth of volunteering/research we're talking about. Basically, it would look better than minor volunteering but not as good as founding your own nonprofit or having a significant leadership role in a major volunteer org (its all relative...). Same w research, getting published 1st author in a major EM journal would be better.

Just remember, you're trying to be a doctor now, which means learning new stuff and getting exposure to new things (evidence based medicine, research) You likely won't get that by working. But, it def won't hurt and its a great way to get out of the library and relieve some stress.

I would say if you have a history of being an EMT or otherwise working in the ER, that should (at least theoretically?) help in your EM interviews. I don't know how necessary it is to do shifts during medical school. I don't have experience with this or people who have done this, but just my 2 cents.

Get it from the source. The NRMP, the organization which handles the match, publishes program director survey results on such things. Like this (pdf).

In short: interview day is almost always #1; Step 1/2CK are important; letters are important; basic sciences and ECs, less so. Check out the report.