How to prepare for peds sub-I/electives to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEN2C

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my pediatrics rotation was the first rotation of third year and I loved it and I'm certainly going into it. The problem is that next July/August/September is when I assume I'll have to do my sub-Is and it'll be a year since I took care of kids! Are there any resources that people might recommend to 'brush up' on the common conditions/exams/workups, etc for a peds sub-i? Is there a rotation I could take prior to the inpatient or outpatient sub-I within pediatrics that might prepare me? Obviously I want to shine in all my rotations but I'm afraid of the 'rustiness'.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 3 year gap between MS3 and MS4, so I remember feeling concerned about "rustiness" :)
Personally, I did a rotation in pedi genetics when I came back to med school, and it was very helpful b/c 1) those guys will teach you to do an extremely thorough exam and 2) you'll likely see a bunch of pathology that will be a jumping off point to get you reading. And it was a fun rotation!

Thanks guys.

I got my preliminary schedule for 4th year and unfortunately I only got 2 two out of the 4 choices (I didn't get PICU and Heme/Onc - the two career paths I am interested in at the moment). More than the usual amount of kids from my school want to do peds, so the waiting list is longer than usual. I'm on the waiting list so I may or may not get them. Assuming I don't, how much exposure would I get to those early enough in the residency so I can make a decision? I don't want to apply into a fellowship blind obviously.

If I don't decide until third year of residency, will it significantly affect my chances if I just work for a year as a pediatrician?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming I don't, how much exposure would I get to those early enough in the residency so I can make a decision? I don't want to apply into a fellowship blind obviously.

If I don't decide until third year of residency, will it significantly affect my chances if I just work for a year as a pediatrician?

Most places, you don't do PICU until you're in your second year, but I *believe* it's a third year application/match. Heme/Onc varies--a number of programs have you do rotations as an intern, while others have you do rotations as a second year. Most are willing to adapt your schedule to get you early experience if you want to match into it, so you can make sure you make an informed decision.

I can't answer the second question definitively, but I've heard a lot of people say that it's actually better for your application if you work for a year as a generalist before fellowship. You could also do a chief year, if it's something you're interested in.

Not in the slightest, but due to tracking in residency now and the late match in nearly all specialties, programs should be able to give you plenty of experience in the areas of interest before you need to decide without taking a general pedi/chief year.