How to present in Rads

Started by nub
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nub

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm about to start my 1st rads elective and I was wondering how to present an X-ray.

My guess would be:

patient name, short h&p, exposure, penatration, rotation then into what the film is.

If anyone could give a more detailed description of a presentation, I would greatly appreciate it.
 
nub said:
I'm about to start my 1st rads elective and I was wondering how to present an X-ray.

My guess would be:

patient name, short h&p, exposure, penatration, rotation then into what the film is.

If anyone could give a more detailed description of a presentation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Pt name, date, one line history (IE 53 year old fever c history of colon cancer and chest pain.)

In general, I would mention exposure, penetration, or rotation only if it limits the exam in some way or if the technique is suboptimal.

Reading chest films its easy as ABC:

Airway- is the trachea midline, or deviated?
Breathing (lungs): do you see air space or interstitial disease? Any masses? cavitary lesions? emphysematous bullae? Are the pulmonary vessels congested?
Cardiac silloute/mediastinal structures: what is the heart size and shape? Does the Aortic arch look normal or dilated? Is there mediastinal widening?
Diaphragm/Pleura: is there pneumothorax or pleural effusion? Free air under the diaphragm? (an up right CXR is pretty sensitive for free air)
Everything else: look for clavicle fractures, busted ribs, dislocated shoulder. I have actually found a few on CXR! Check for a pectus deformity or sternal fracture on the lateral.
 
I go by soft tissues, bones, organs (heart,etc) & surfaces and finally the lung fields.