How to present less-defined ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkirk3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background: Junior at an unexceptional state school in the SE; AL resident looking to attend in-state; 3.9 GPA (I expect to be able to maintain); little desire (currently) to attend a top-tier med school or enter a prestigious specialty; also heavily considering DO.

I have spent an average of 10+ hours a week doing various things with our Christian campus ministry over the last 2 1/2 years, and plan to continue or increase my commitment in the time I have remaining. On a few occasions, I have given in excess of 20 hours/wk to this ministry. Even my free time is often spent building relationships and informally mentoring others. However, aside from a couple official leadership positions and service trips, I don't have much "resume material" coming from this, while at the same time I have what I would assume is a hole in my ECs/volunteer work because of the huge amount of time I give up. Most of what I do doesn't fall in a traditional "service" category, even though I feel as if I live almost 24/7 for others, specifically the students in and around our ministry.

So my question is this: How can I relate to med schools how much time, energy, and effort I give?
Any tips on how to fit that onto a resume? Or should I just prepare to harp on it during interviews?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can list up to 15 ECs on your AMCAS application, and you will be asked how many hours, any leadership positions held, and to give a brief description of the activity for each entry. Additionally, you can choose 3 of those entries as exceptionally "meaningful" experiences, where you'll be given additional space for further comments. You should use that space to write about character traits/learned skills/experiences related to your work at the ministry that you think would be relevant as a physician. Compassion, altruism, service, mentoring, etc. are all valuable things that medical schools probably look for! You could also use your entire personal statement to write about your experiences in this ministry if you think these experiences can answer the question, "Why do you want to pursue a career in medicine?"

You won't need a resume when you apply. Everything you want to include in your application will be entered into the AMCAS online application form, which will serve as your resume to medical schools. And definitely be prepared to talk about it during interviews.

Great answers; thanks to both of you, especially RunawayGrape! That shows my ignorance toward the AMCAS app process, but that certainly clears it up.

do you have clinical exposure (volunteering in a hospital, shadowing, etc)? if not you'll want to pursue that this year... You will be putting how many hours/week you devote to any given EC, so it will be clear how much time you have devoted to your campus ministry, and you can also list things as leadership/etc as needed to make your application well-rounded.

I do have a little, though I'm sure it is well below average at this point. I plan to add more.
20-25 hours shadowing (all with surgeons though)
Worked as a transporter, PRN status, for 7 months mostly during the school year