how to rank programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any tips on how to rank programs? i'm going to make a +/- sheet soon, for the moment I am kind of stuck on which order to rank 3-4 programs I really liked, fairly equally (and for different reasons...)....

Members don't see this ad.

any tips on how to rank programs? i'm going to make a +/- sheet soon, for the moment I am kind of stuck on which order to rank 3-4 programs I really liked, fairly equally (and for different reasons...)....
I tried to rank as I interviewed. The top 2-3 had my areas of interest, PGY2 positions in those areas, were academic medical centers, their pgy1s seemed very happy, it was evident I'd have a great learning experience, and the interactions with everyone seemed quite natural. Something else that is impacting my decision are the the pgy1s: are they returning for a pgy2 there or elsewhere or are they not pursuing a pgy2 at all even though they have interest in an area that would warrant it (when the later applied to >1 that seemed like a red flag, there are exceptions though), do they seem over worked/bad work-life balance, and lastly do they seem genuinely happy.

I am also not ranking one program, since I do not see myself there.

This may not help in your case since you liked them all equally. You did mention you liked some for different reasons; perhaps you could prioritize those reasons?

Best of luck!!

I have a question. What if someone did not get any interviews at the places they applied to, would that person have to withdraw from the Match, and if so, would they be able to participate in the Scramble? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question. What if someone did not get any interviews at the places they applied to, would that person have to withdraw from the Match, and if so, would they be able to participate in the Scramble? Thanks.
If someone did not get any interviews during the first round, they may apply (and pay money) for the second match. After the second match, scramble is fair game.

I personally made a spreadsheet with a point system.
  • On the Y-axis, I listed the following with my personal weighted point values: Quality of Program (5 points), Importance of Teaching (3 points), Research Opportunities (2 points), Happiness of Residents (1 point), Quality of People (2 points), Future Employment (2 points), Housing (1 point), Gut Feeling (4 points), Family/Friends Preference (2 points), Patient Interaction (3 points), Parking (1 point), Food (1 point), Driving (1 point), Computer System (2 points), Comprehensive Learning (2 points)
  • On the X-axis, I listed my options. After I filled in their points, added them all up for their total score.
Note: After this whole process, I still can't decide between my top 2. So if anyone has any more "categories" they would like to add to my list, PLEASE do so.

To add to your list (points would be subjective, so I'll just list categories): Staffing, On-call, Cost of living.

I personally made a spreadsheet with a point system.
  • On the Y-axis, I listed the following with my personal weighted point values: Quality of Program (5 points), Importance of Teaching (3 points), Research Opportunities (2 points), Happiness of Residents (1 point), Quality of People (2 points), Future Employment (2 points), Housing (1 point), Gut Feeling (4 points), Family/Friends Preference (2 points), Patient Interaction (3 points), Parking (1 point), Food (1 point), Driving (1 point), Computer System (2 points), Comprehensive Learning (2 points)
  • On the X-axis, I listed my options. After I filled in their points, added them all up for their total score.
Note: After this whole process, I still can't decide between my top 2. So if anyone has any more "categories" they would like to add to my list, PLEASE do so.

Umm, what?.... You realize the entire system you have is subjective right? Your opinion of "Quality of Program", "Happiness of Residents", "Quality of People", etc may not even share the same scale (no matter how much you insist) from program to program just because of personal bias.

Just go with your gut. Because that's really what you're doing.. Except partitioning it out and giving it fancy names.

Umm, what?.... You realize the entire system you have is subjective right? Your opinion of "Quality of Program", "Happiness of Residents", "Quality of People", etc may not even share the same scale (no matter how much you insist) from program to program just because of personal bias.

Just go with your gut. Because that's really what you're doing.. Except partitioning it out and giving it fancy names.

That is why I said that it was my "personal weighted point values." I even put gut feeling in there. It's just a way for myself to organize my thoughts and I shared it in case other people wanted to make their own list for themselves with their own weight based on their own subjective judgment. I apologize if it came across as anything more than that. Happy Match Day.