1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How to read biology and physical science passages

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by revoapparel, Jul 24, 2006.

1. revoapparel

revoapparel Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

It seems as if the newer mcats are leaning towards reading comprehension and thus, after reading a few posts about strategies in reading certain passages (such as for the physical sciences where you shouldn't read the passage unless a question refers back to it; otherwise, do the questions first), I feel that this strategy won't allow you to efficiently go through the questions, as you are missing some background knowledge.

Of course, when I am reading these passages, I'm skimming them fairly quickly, but otherwise, what do you guys think is the best way to attack these passages?

2. pslee

pslee Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, for me, when I was doing those aamc exams, some passages seems really oblivious, but some are not. For example, there was a passage about fission and fusion in a planet on the AAMC 5R ps section. If you don't read the passage thoughly, you will get stupidest questions wrong. So, I think it totally depends upon what kind of passages you are looking at.

3. Lests55

Lests55 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Read the passage. Read it first, then do the questions. Same for verbal. The best advice I can give is don't try any fancy strategy. Just grab it and do it. (I got a 40 in April)

4. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just noting the fact that you just got a 36 on a practice test and I only pulled out a 9 on verbal... Oblivious? Or obvious?

I'm just getting some motivation to do some practice problems to bring up my verbal score which I know I can do much better on.

5. grapeflavorsoda

grapeflavorsoda Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

forget about test prep advice.

just read all the passages and read them carefully. you should have more than enough time to finish.