How to read biology and physical science passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

revoapparel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It seems as if the newer mcats are leaning towards reading comprehension and thus, after reading a few posts about strategies in reading certain passages (such as for the physical sciences where you shouldn't read the passage unless a question refers back to it; otherwise, do the questions first), I feel that this strategy won't allow you to efficiently go through the questions, as you are missing some background knowledge.

Of course, when I am reading these passages, I'm skimming them fairly quickly, but otherwise, what do you guys think is the best way to attack these passages?

Members don't see this ad.

revoapparel said:
Hi,

It seems as if the newer mcats are leaning towards reading comprehension and thus, after reading a few posts about strategies in reading certain passages (such as for the physical sciences where you shouldn't read the passage unless a question refers back to it; otherwise, do the questions first), I feel that this strategy won't allow you to efficiently go through the questions, as you are missing some background knowledge.

Of course, when I am reading these passages, I'm skimming them fairly quickly, but otherwise, what do you guys think is the best way to attack these passages?

Well, for me, when I was doing those aamc exams, some passages seems really oblivious, but some are not. For example, there was a passage about fission and fusion in a planet on the AAMC 5R ps section. If you don't read the passage thoughly, you will get stupidest questions wrong. So, I think it totally depends upon what kind of passages you are looking at.

Read the passage. Read it first, then do the questions. Same for verbal. The best advice I can give is don't try any fancy strategy. Just grab it and do it. (I got a 40 in April)

pslee said:
Well, for me, when I was doing those aamc exams, some passages seems really oblivious, but some are not. For example, there was a passage about fission and fusion in a planet on the AAMC 5R ps section. If you don't read the passage thoughly, you will get stupidest questions wrong. So, I think it totally depends upon what kind of passages you are looking at.

Just noting the fact that you just got a 36 on a practice test and I only pulled out a 9 on verbal... Oblivious? Or obvious?

I'm just getting some motivation to do some practice problems to bring up my verbal score which I know I can do much better on.

revoapparel said:
Hi,

forget about test prep advice.

just read all the passages and read them carefully. you should have more than enough time to finish.