Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How to read biology and physical science passages

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by revoapparel, Jul 24, 2006.

1. revoapparel

revoapparel Junior Member

Hi,

It seems as if the newer mcats are leaning towards reading comprehension and thus, after reading a few posts about strategies in reading certain passages (such as for the physical sciences where you shouldn't read the passage unless a question refers back to it; otherwise, do the questions first), I feel that this strategy won't allow you to efficiently go through the questions, as you are missing some background knowledge.

Of course, when I am reading these passages, I'm skimming them fairly quickly, but otherwise, what do you guys think is the best way to attack these passages?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pslee

pslee Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, for me, when I was doing those aamc exams, some passages seems really oblivious, but some are not. For example, there was a passage about fission and fusion in a planet on the AAMC 5R ps section. If you don't read the passage thoughly, you will get stupidest questions wrong. So, I think it totally depends upon what kind of passages you are looking at.

4. Lests55

Lests55 Senior Member

Read the passage. Read it first, then do the questions. Same for verbal. The best advice I can give is don't try any fancy strategy. Just grab it and do it. (I got a 40 in April)

5. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Just noting the fact that you just got a 36 on a practice test and I only pulled out a 9 on verbal... Oblivious? Or obvious?

I'm just getting some motivation to do some practice problems to bring up my verbal score which I know I can do much better on.

6. grapeflavorsoda

grapeflavorsoda Senior Member

forget about test prep advice.

just read all the passages and read them carefully. you should have more than enough time to finish.