How to reject a job after accepting?

Started by baronzb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

baronzb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does one reject a job offer after accepting it without burning bridges? One has not signed the paperwork but given a verbal offer.
 
Call asap and just be honest (do not email). I've done it once, I felt terrible, but I just held firm and said essentially "I'm sorry but this was unforeseen/unexpected, I'll try to send candidates your way, but best of luck with your search." Or something like that.

Hiring mgr let out a sigh and said something like back to the drawing board.

A year later a mutual friend who worked there asked if I was interested in per-diem work. So there's that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless you're a sociopath, any BS response you make will be imminently obvious to the hiring manager. So tell the truth, if it's better money and you don't want to admit it, just say better fit (because you'll fit better with more money...it's not lying! Haha)


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app