How to reject a job after accepting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one reject a job offer after accepting it without burning bridges? One has not signed the paperwork but given a verbal offer.

Members don't see this ad.

You do it as soon as possible, so they can find a replacement and start the interview process again... and do it in a polite and professional manner.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Call asap and just be honest (do not email). I've done it once, I felt terrible, but I just held firm and said essentially "I'm sorry but this was unforeseen/unexpected, I'll try to send candidates your way, but best of luck with your search." Or something like that.

Hiring mgr let out a sigh and said something like back to the drawing board.

A year later a mutual friend who worked there asked if I was interested in per-diem work. So there's that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
IS there an excuse that may be more kosher than others?

Unless you're a sociopath, any BS response you make will be imminently obvious to the hiring manager. So tell the truth, if it's better money and you don't want to admit it, just say better fit (because you'll fit better with more money...it's not lying! Haha)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users