How to score a 28 in the RC part of the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melmu001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I score a 28 in RC?

Members don't see this ad.

For RC, I don't think there is a textbook method to getting a high score. I would try to read a few science articles a day to maybe boost your reading speeds, and then complete a bunch of timed practice RC tests. Determine which method you are most comfortable with this section, and stick to it. For me, I've always been confident in my reading speed and comprehension. I read the article fully one time, then went to the questions. By reading the article, I could answer many questions, but I also knew where the answer would be located so it was easy to go back to the text. I know others have had success with search and destroy, but I'm not sure if strictly search and destroy can get you a 28 in RC.

One strategy that I like is to read the passages and make short notes about the topics of each paragraph. This way if you are unsure you know where to find the answer quickly because you have mapped your passage. Reading all of the passage will help you with questions that encompass the whole passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, getting a score this high involves some luck. You can do everything in the world to prepare, but you just might get a test that doesn't suit your personal knowledge base very well.

I think that with hard work and a firm knowledge base, you can get yourself to a 23 or even a 24. When you start talking about a 28, though, that seriously means only missing 1-2 questions on the section. You can't guarantee that.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should definitely find a strategy that you feel comfortable with.
I personally like the method of making short notes on each of the paragraphs in the passage. Doing so, I felt really confident about the first 2 passages until I got to the 3rd one.... It was a physics based passage :(
So like Gimmer1991 said, it definitely involves some luck.