How to setup a second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cockblockandrun

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can give me any information if doing a second look helps? In one of my interviews, the director was in the OR so I didn't get a chance to interview with him, but it is a place I absolutely loved.

Do I set up a second look with the program coordinator? And is it supposed to be a second interview or just a tour of the OR again and a way to 'show face'? What kind of attire- suit or just dress shirt and tie? Does all of this really help?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this can definitely help to show interest and really get a feel for the program outside of the confines of the interview day. Just call up the program coordinator. Ask to spend a day with the residents and meet again with the program director, and even the chair. I'd go for suit with the realization that you'll hopefully change into scrubs. From my experience, now on the 'other' side of interviewing candidates, this will only help you if you really want the program.

Thanks for that info. Is it best to schedule it the end of January/early February once interview season are over and rank lists are being compiled?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only do one if YOU need more info, not to broadcast your intent, etc. Most programs will barely know u r there, or know what u want to do/see. IF u do it, come with an agenda so u get what u need. I matched at the prog that I second looked (only 1). I thought it would be some good face time etc and I barely got anything out of it in that way. I saw the PD for a min or two only.

I would do it in mid Jan. Some progs have already started their lists long before this. DO NOT buy a plane ticket just to do second look

Thanks for that info. Is it best to schedule it the end of January/early February once interview season are over and rank lists are being compiled?

Gotta agree with Dre on this one.

I'd only add this: Only schedule a second look if you feel you really botched the interview. Chances are you have nothing to gain and a lot to lose if your interview went swimmingly.

-copro