How to shadow a physician

Started by chemistryguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

C

chemistryguy

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So for those of you who have shadowed a physician, how did you go about asking them. Especially if they don't have an email address posted, should I just call the office and ask the receptionist? Are most physicians generally open to it, or am I just going to be bothering whoever I ask?
 
1: Write a letter

2: Drop off the letter at his office

3: ?

4: Profit
 
But seriously, just write a nice letter asking to shadow. Include your name, email and phone number. Most doctors, especially those in private practice, really enjoy having students to teach. I know all thre physicians I shadowed really got into it and all offered to write me a LOR.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Go to nearest hospital.

2) Start following a doctor around (don't stay too close).

3) Once he/she notices and/or asks who you are, pick another doctor and repeat.
 
Have you asked your own family doctor, or other physician that you have seen? The first doctor I shadowed was my orthopedist. Just straight up asked him at the end of a visit.