How to shine on a radiology away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbird11384

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone that has completed an away or has advice from those who went through this process in years past, offer any advice you may have.

-Is it recommended you meet with the program director once during the rotation to sit down and chat about the program?
-Should one try to stay late and ask for more responsibilities? <don't want to come off as annoying.
-Do people actually manage to fit in new research projects while on an away rotation?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone that has completed an away or has advice from those who went through this process in years past, offer any advice you may have.

-Is it recommended you meet with the program director once during the rotation to sit down and chat about the program?
-Should one try to stay late and ask for more responsibilities? <don't want to come off as annoying.
-Do people actually manage to fit in new research projects while on an away rotation?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated.

I touched on this in the other thread, but I think the most important thing is to be chill, meet residents/faculty, and learn as much as you can. Be prepared to answer qs, but don't go out of your way to try to show your knowledge, express interest, ask good qs about radiology and/or the program, etc. I picked up a case report during my first away, its doable but requires a lot of work. I wouldn't volunteer to stay late, if anything, and you really want to, maybe ask a resident/fellow if you can shadow on call, just keep in mind if you make their shift harder it won't make them happy. Sticking around while residents/fellows are dictating is generally not a good idea IMO.

I touched on this in the other thread, but I think the most important thing is to be chill, meet residents/faculty, and learn as much as you can. Be prepared to answer qs, but don't go out of your way to try to show your knowledge, express interest, ask good qs about radiology and/or the program, etc. I picked up a case report during my first away, its doable but requires a lot of work. I wouldn't volunteer to stay late, if anything, and you really want to, maybe ask a resident/fellow if you can shadow on call, just keep in mind if you make their shift harder it won't make them happy. Sticking around while residents/fellows are dictating is generally not a good idea IMO.

+1.

The residents and attendings know I'm interested in radiology and their program but they still dismiss early when they can. They do a good job of teaching when they can but I would just be in the way at worst or ignored at best when the cases are done for the day and they are just dictating. They are so busy during call it would be the same way.

They know it's hard to impress on a rotation so just be friendly and show basic knowledge and interest. Stay awake and ask intelligent questions when given the opportunity

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to do a presentation for my rads away on a disease of my choice. I'm having trouble finding an interesting but doable topic. Has anyone else had to do a presentation?? Looking for any help I can get!

Thanks!

I have to do a presentation for my rads away on a disease of my choice. I'm having trouble finding an interesting but doable topic. Has anyone else had to do a presentation?? Looking for any help I can get!

Thanks!

Any disease? I'd pick something either kind of rare or something common that just had new guidelines set, so people will want to know what the new guidelines are. Good examples would be something like Multiple Sclerosis, which just had new guidelines made in 2010, Adrenal Adenomas (which had guidelines revised last in 2009) or something rare like Osler-Weber-Rondu syndrome or something like that.