How to spend pre-M1 summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandy4321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To current medical students:

If you could go back, what would you have told your 2-months-away-from-starting-medical-school selves to do during this golden free time?

Members don't see this ad.

Travel. Do nothing. Hang out with friends/family as much as you can.

Reactions: 6 users
Word I’m really strugglin’ with this free time thing lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To current medical students:

If you could go back, what would you have told your 2-months-away-from-starting-medical-school selves to do during this golden free time?

Look for airfare sale to europe or Caribbean.. you will be begging for a break like this after you get started.

If you’re not at least buzzed reading this then you’re doing it wrong

Reactions: 13 users
I rode a motorcycle along the east & gulf coasts solo & wouldn't have traded that last taste of freedom for anything. Get out there and do something you've always wanted to you won't regret it.

I know most people advise against pre-studying. But if I've never taken anatomy before, is it worth then?

I know most people advise against pre-studying. But if I've never taken anatomy before, is it worth then?
No. I hadn't taken any anatomy beforehand and was fine. Don't pre-study at all. Enjoy your freedom

Reactions: 1 users
No. I had taken anatomy prior to med school and it was a drop in the bucket.

Hookers, blow, blackjack, scotch.

Make a bucket list of all things you wanna do. The only practical things would be learn how to cook and get an exercise routine. Otherwise, just enjoy everything as much as you can.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't bring myself to learn all this Anki/Zanki business. Seems like another form of pre-studying...

Me, I'm just working and partying until school starts. Just got back from an overseas trip. I think I'm doin' it right.

Members don't see this ad :)
download zanki and get started on pathoma chapters 1-3

If I could go back, I would've played more League of Legends and did more nothing.

Personally, I'd get a sublet in vegas for a month, find club promoters on instagram to get in for free, and get wasted/high every night. After a month of that, you'll be pumped for med school and have enough stories to tell all your patients and entertain your residents.
in case anyone is actually planning on doing something like this, remember that your school can drug test you...

I’d probably look at Micro made incredibly simple, Netter, Baby Robbins and annotate First A-just kidding. Go to the beach, drink beer, maybe play Goldeneye (donpeople still do that?)

I worked, but I'm a non-trad.

I would highly suggest that you purchase a copy of netter’s anatomy, grey’s anatomy, a biochem textbook, an infectious disease textbook, and a basic physiology textbook.

You need to take your 8 weeks before MS1 and set up a study schedule. You need at least 10 hours a day split between anatomy, physiology, and bbiochemistry. Make sure you make note cards for every important fact you come across in your studies!!!! You should have around 100-200 new anki cards per day based on what you studied. Or, you can download a deck online and do atleast 400 cards per day just to get familiar with this new info.

JK bro. Please for the love of god just chill out and enjoy life

Take a break and enjoy your life. This will be the last bit of complete freedom that you'll have in a long while, so make the most of it. Just don't do anything that might get you arrested :laugh: . Doing this will allow you to hit the ground running when med school starts.