How to spend summer between MS1 and MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tex706

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS1 and am wondering if anyone can offer suggestions about what I should be doing to "build" my application. I'm pretty sure I'll be applying for Ob/Gyn residency. I'm especially trying to figure out how I should be spending my summer-- is research heavily emphasized for Ob/Gyn? Or should I try setting up a preceptorship? What about beyond MS1 summer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The only things I can think of for that Summer that could conceviably help with your application:

1) Research ending in a publication. This is a great idea if you know you can get the publication, but if you can't the the pub the time you spent was needlessly stressful and will be almost useless for your application.

2) If you want to work in the South, especially the SW, learn Spanish. www.ecela.com is a good program that I did, though there are many others.

3) If your school bases AOA heavily on community service, and your grades are competitive, I guess you could do some of that.

Preceptorships are just about useless. You just don't know enough to be useful and residencies don't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

In terms of "competitive" grades- what would that be? I know that sounds like an odd question, but at my med school, we have Honors, High Pass, Pass, Marginal Pass, and Fail. I know other schools just have pass or fail. How important is Honors or High Pass vs. just passing?

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

In terms of "competitive" grades- what would that be? I know that sounds like an odd question, but at my med school, we have Honors, High Pass, Pass, Marginal Pass, and Fail. I know other schools just have pass or fail. How important is Honors or High Pass vs. just passing?

It's not the actual grades, rather your position in your class. For OB, if you are not in the bottom quintile you should be fine. Even if you are, you should still be able to find less competitive programs which will give you a serious look. Obviously no matter what field you want to go into, you should do as well as you can. Applying with great grades, board scores, research, experiences will mean that you will be choosing between great programs in desirable locations.