How to start career shadowing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

poshdoctor

Spicegirls of Healthcare
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do I start career shadowing in dentists in my area?

Do I just send out letters stating that I'm a pre-dental student looking to career shadow them along with my resume? Or is there another path to career shadowing?

THANKS 🙂
 
I started with my own personal dentist by expressing interest in the field. Then proceeded to ask if they would mind if I came and spent the day with them.
 
Ditto to what RSimon said. It's easiest to start with your personal dentist. Next time you're there, tell him/her about your interest in dentistry and ask if you could follow him/her around for a few days. Most dentists will say yes--they've been in this situation before. From there, it's easier, because now you have an "in." Ask your dentist if s/he has any dentist friends that would be willing to allow you to shadow. Ask around your friends or family too. You'd be surprised who knows a dentist. One of the dentists I shadowed is friends with my uncle who lives almost 1,000 miles away from me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called my dentist and told him I'm pre-dental and asked if I could shadow him, and it was fine with him. He also gave me a list of other dentists that he knew that allowed students to shadow them. If that doesn't work out, just make a list of dentists in your area and call their offices directly. You can leave a message at the front office and the dentist may or may not call you back. I wouldn't mail a letter or anything like that though.
 
Yeah, everyone else already has the right idea so there's not much else to say. However, I started out with the internship and career center on campus that hooked me up with a contact at the local community clinic and that's how I got my start. I moved on from there and started shadowing my personal dentist the same way everyone else did.