How to start RTOG trial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Can anyone advise me on how to start/register an RTOG trial?
What are the qualifications of the investigator and logistics of launching an RTOG trial?

Thank you very much.
Best,

Members don't see this ad.

Dear all,

Can anyone advise me on how to start/register an RTOG trial?
What are the qualifications of the investigator and logistics of launching an RTOG trial?

Thank you very much.
Best,
1) Become a member of NRGOncology
2) Actively accrue patients for 2-10 years
3) Come up with a good idea
4) Ask the site chair to present to the site committee
5) If the site committee approves on to the Exec committee
6) If exec approves create proposal for review by CTEP
7) If CTEP approves then write final protocol
8) Open and accrue patients
9) Analyze after prespecified number of events (assuming futility or excess toxicity not observed)
10) Submit for presentation and publication

Depending on where you are in your career and the disease studied, steps 4-10 range from 5-15 years.

In my case 14 years from initial presentation to site committee to initial publication.

Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
Don’t forget the part where you make political and scientific concessions in order to get the study off the ground so that the science by committee comes up with a repetitive study (a phase I study of SBRT in BR001), takes too long to get the study started so that the field has already advanced (RTOG 3505 and adjuvant nivo vs observation when the PACIFIC study has already been published and NCCN guidelines reflect this) or lack a true control, standard of care arm (GI-002 looking at neo-adjuvant chemo before chemRT in rectal cancer).

1) Become a member of NRGOncology
2) Actively accrue patients for 2-10 years
3) Come up with a good idea
4) Ask the site chair to present to the site committee
5) If the site committee approves on to the Exec committee
6) If exec approves create proposal for review by CTEP
7) If CTEP approves then write final protocol
8) Open and accrue patients
9) Analyze after prespecified number of events (assuming futility or excess toxicity not observed)
10) Submit for presentation and publication

Depending on where you are in your career and the disease studied, steps 4-10 range from 5-15 years.

In my case 14 years from initial presentation to site committee to initial publication.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user