Trials to send referrings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grenz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be good to have a running thread of recent trials or papers you’ve sent or will send to your referrings to create new referral patterns.

I’ll start:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't imagine sending referring doctors papers unsolicited.

Am I missing sarcasm?

We don't send papers, but we send 1 page letters summarizing evidence for controversial issues, like proton therapy for prostate and breast cancer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just tell everyone else they are stupid at tumor board, that I am the true oncologist, throw down my coffee, and storm out angrily

Always a good bump in referrals the next week

Reactions: 5 users

Am I missing sarcasm?
I use “send” broadly. It could be discussing over lunch or drinks. Do you not do any practice building?

Reactions: 1 user
We don't send papers, but we send 1 page letters summarizing evidence for controversial issues, like proton therapy for prostate and breast cancer.
I do not see any controversial issues here.
Proton therapy for prostate and breast cancer is... waste of energy.
Game On Fighting GIF by Shalita Grant

Am I missing sarcasm?

I do it ALLLLLLLLL the time to my referring Medoncs in our practice. Just sent an email out this am with the asymptomatic bone met data. Highly recommend doing it. Great way to disseminate data to referrings. They know I do it and have always expressed happiness that I'm keeping them updated.

Edit: Just sent the PAINPANC data to our palliative medicine docs and surgical oncologists

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
yeah, you can't expect to be locally valued if you don't show your value to your referrings

I just tell everyone else they are stupid at tumor board, that I am the true oncologist, throw down my coffee, and storm out angrily

Always a good bump in referrals the next week
Repeat ad infinitum = infinity patients? Good business model.

On a more serious note, I think the high-risk but asymptomatic bone met is a relevant one. I guess pancreatic cancer pain to the GI Med Oncs not unreasonable. The Lederhose one I'm not sure who I'd even send that to....

Repeat ad infinitum = infinity patients? Good business model.

On a more serious note, I think the high-risk but asymptomatic bone met is a relevant one. I guess pancreatic cancer pain to the GI Med Oncs not unreasonable. The Lederhose one I'm not sure who I'd even send that to....
Podiatrists for lederhose. At this time I’d pitch the asymptomatic met approach for patients who aren’t good candidates for bone modifying agents. I think broad adoption would be a hard sell initially

I do it ALLLLLLLLL the time to my referring Medoncs in our practice. Just sent an email out this am with the asymptomatic bone met data. Highly recommend doing it. Great way to disseminate data to referrings. They know I do it and have always expressed happiness that I'm keeping them updated.

Edit: Just sent the PAINPANC data to our palliative medicine docs and surgical oncologists
I am and always have been a perpetual paper pusher too

For sure; especially for those things which I might be offering that others aren't.

Most other centers here aren't comfortable (or equipped...) for single iso multi-lesion SRS.

For definitive treatment of locally advanced cholangios or unresectable/non-surgical pancreas I usually offer the 15 fraction IMRT SIB dose escalation approach:
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one offering FLAME like regimens for prostate cancer, and not many here doing 5 fraction APBI. I've definitely had a patient or two who got treatment elsewhere get pissed off they weren't offered it.

I shrug...... "All I can do is pass it on to the referring doctors.... they make the referral."