How to start your school application list?

Started by butac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

butac

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I am from Idaho and I haven't traveled outside of the western states much, unfortunately we don't have nearly as many schools out here as in the east. I am trying to start a school list but I am having trouble because the MSAR only tells me how hard a school is to get into,and not really much else about it. I am wondering if I can get some advice on some schools to apply to that I would be competitive at. Good gpa, average mcat and EC. I don't think my mcat score will help me break into most of the California schools as an out-of-stater.

Graduating at BYU, Provo, UT
Total GPA: 3.92
BCPM: 3.91
MCAT: 32P

EC:
2 year mission for my church in Upstate New York
1 year research with Chem professor, not published
4 months ER triage volunteer
5 months elementary school volunteer
Worked 2 years as a Phlebotomist, 20 hrs/wk
1 Year Biology TA
quite a bit of shadowing

Right now my list is pretty short:
University of Utah
University of Washington
Saint Louis in Missouri
Medical college of Wisconsin
Rochester, NY

Where else would be a good choice for me? Thanks.