How to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brians

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wrote in about a week ago asking where to get experience before applying to school. I got some good responses but I am still a bit lost. I don't really know how to start looking for these positions. I talked to a couple of help lines but they are all volunteer, and I am too broke to do just that. If anyone can be more specific on how to start my search that would be great. I live in NY so if anyone knows of specific institutions to apply to let me know.... Thanks...........................

Members don't see this ad.

Help lines are volunteer by definition - however, when I did it, I was asked to commit to 2 or 3 sessions per month, 4 hours at a time - would you be able to squeeze that in?

To get paid jobs without experience is more difficult. Write yourself a good CV and contact psych faculty at local schools. Talk to psych friends and friends of friends to find out who might be looking for RAs.

Good luck

brians said:
Hello everyone, I wrote in about a week ago asking where to get experience before applying to school. I got some good responses but I am still a bit lost. I don't really know how to start looking for these positions. I talked to a couple of help lines but they are all volunteer, and I am too broke to do just that. If anyone can be more specific on how to start my search that would be great. I live in NY so if anyone knows of specific institutions to apply to let me know.... Thanks...........................

Job offers will not fall into your lap once you graduate from college. Put together a CV, find people whose work interests you, compose e-mails to them with a brief bio and CV attached, and ask if they anticipate any openings for RAs. You may also want to check employment listings for local hospitals / research labs. Keep in mind that you're competing with people who have a few years worth of post-college research experience. You have to be aggressive and assertive in today's job environment.

If you live in NYC and are complaining about a lack of research jobs, something is seriously wrong. You're simply not looking hard enough.

You have to be aggressive and assertive in today's job environment.

If you live in NYC and are complaining about a lack of research jobs, something is seriously wrong. You're simply not looking hard enough.[/QUOTE]

I agree that one must be assertive and aggressive to make it in this economy. However, I disagree that you can find work simply by "looking hard enough". I graduated with my B.S. in May 2003, and I spent an entire year job hunting, going on interviews, etc. I did not get hired by one person, not even for entry level positions. I've determined that to do anything in this field you pretty much need at least a master's level degree. Sure you can volunteer for things like research and help lines and crisis centers, but if you are living on your own like me (trying to support yourself on 1000 dollars a month from waitressing), there's not a whole lot of time for volunteer work.

I will be doing volunteer work this fall at a rape crisis center where I live, but it's only because I've realized I will not find paid opportunities in this field. I recognize the importance of gaining field experience, and so I will be bending over backwards to try and squeeze it into my work schedule. But it's not going to be easy seeing as I work every day of the week as it is.

Keep your chin up. What are you interested in? The good news is that there are a lot of volunteer opportunities out there if you are interested in them. You can work at children's home, crisis shelters, rape centers. I think there is a way for your to get involved in service projects your former university is involved with. Maybe contact a former professor and see if there's a way for you to get into that. I know at my former college we have this thing called, "Community Outreach", and lot of psych majors did it. It's basically a bunch of students getting together and going out into the community to help people with food and shelter and things like that.

Look into it. There are things out there, though they may not be exactly to your liking.