how to stay awake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedalltheway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys stay awake to study besides drinking Red Blue or coffee (no excercising cause that will wake up my family)? I tend to fall asleep if I dont have like 3 red blues in 1 sitting! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

perhaps u should drink red bull instead ?

Premedalltheway said:
How do you guys stay awake to study besides drinking Red Blue or coffee (no excercising cause that will wake up my family)? I tend to fall asleep if I dont have like 3 red blues in 1 sitting! :scared:

a strong cup of coffe will keep you up a lot better than a few red bulls; as far as I understand, they contain relatively little caffeine. Basically they are just sugar, water, and caffeine (the other ingredients aren't really what give you the energy boost)

yeah there's no reason to chug a bunch of energy drinks (although, I admit that I do this on occasion). Coffee is much more effective

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedalltheway said:
I never really liked coffee....

it's not about enjoying it, it's about staying up..... I make really bad coffee, but just get it down as fast as possible

in the future you could just buy some OTC 200mg caffeine pills at the drug store - very effective

Would i be crazy to jog around my block at 3:00 in the morning? :laugh:

Get up at 5 and go to bed at 11 no matter what happens.
Making the habbit of studying late will seriously reduce your academic competency in the long run.

" one hour in the early morning is equivalent to three hours in the afternoon"
So goes the Japanese proverb.

Newman8r said:
in the future you could just buy some OTC 200mg caffeine pills at the drug store - very effective

Yeah, Vivarin and NoDoz work great, but if you over do it they can give you ulcers and irregular rapid heart beat. You are probably better off with softdrinks if you don't like coffee. Mountain Dew has a ton of caffeine for a soda.

sunkyu said:
Making the habbit of studying late will seriously reduce your academic competency in the long run.

i second this. i always do best in school when i can get in a solid, consistent 3 hours a day between 4-7, 5-8, or 6-9. 3 hours may not sound like much, but if you do it 5 days a week starting the 2nd day of school, it's amazing how much ground you can cover.

sunkyu said:

well, I find myself saying this a lot, but different things work for different people. Personally, I can't get any good studying done in the morning - it just doesn't work for me. I feel like I do much better work later in the evening.... I'm just a night person I guess

Don't take Red Bull or NoDoz or any of that crap, it'll F up your stomach big time! You wouldn't image some of the smells I've experienced after a few Red Bulls :scared:

fpr85 said:
Don't take Red Bull or NoDoz or any of that crap, it'll F up your stomach big time! You wouldn't image some of the smells I've experienced after a few Red Bulls :scared:

unless you take it on a regular basis, NoDoz, and the other caffeine tablets (most of which are exactly the same, 200mg caffeine) are completely safe

Members don't see this ad :)
fpr85 said:

:laugh:

You might also try tea (use multiple bags per cup of water if necessary), which is actually pretty healthy because it is full of antioxidants, or chewing gum. I used to chew a piece of gum when I became drowsy while studying. I also chew gum sometimes if I become tired while driving.

I drink green tea. Don't get decaffienated, though :p. Usually, if I drink green tea at around 7 or 8, I'll still be up and awake at 3 :)

Premedalltheway said:

I've run around my entire campus before at 3 a.m. It really aint bad at all.

Take a tip from me, I am a night shift worker from 1030pm-7am.

Try to stay away from these products mentioned above. Maybe a little coffee now and then. What you want to do is to stay active. If you are studying try standing up. If you have to work, then focus on that. In the end, it is all in the mind.

-Good Luck

Premedalltheway said:
I never really liked coffee....

in that case there is coffee candy with lots of caffeine; they taste great even for those who don't love coffee

Premedalltheway said:
...it depends where you live

but exercise is a great stimulant in addition to a stress reducer..i do it all the time for both reasons

angelinebear said:
I drink green tea. Don't get decaffienated, though :p. Usually, if I drink green tea at around 7 or 8, I'll still be up and awake at 3 :)

i tried that but it tastes disgusting, no matter how good it is for you

Why not just go to sleep?
If you have to keep yourself awake, then chances are that you are not retaining any of the information you want to learn or you are not being productive. If you have to stay up late because you procrastinate, then stop doing that and get your healthy dose of sleep. If you are overloaded with work then try to find ways to eliminate those activities that take up too much time from your studies. ie:extended eating breaks, too much sociallizing, too many distractions, etc. But if you just have to, have to stay late then I recommend drinking plenty of water. Why intoxicate you body with chemicals? Let your body do the waking up thing (i.e. full bladder). Just my 2 cents.

-coomassie

Psycho Doctor said:
i tried that but it tastes disgusting, no matter how good it is for you

HAHAHAHA! At first, I thought that green tea tasted bad too, but the more I drank, the more I started to like it. I guess it's an acquired taste :p

I like green tea hehe it helps me to stay awake.. Usually I drink the Arizona Green Tea drink. I think I'll go with that "sleep at 11 wake up at 5" Theory. I'll post back if it ever helps me out (I have like 2 exams next week) :scared:

Premedalltheway said:

coffee ice cream, Haagen Daaz, .... heaven

Premedalltheway said:
Cocaine or methamphetamines do it for me

d-amphetamine (with a prescription, of course)

skoaner said:

haha thats random, I was posting something similar at the exact same time

Premedalltheway said:

sorry if it's already been mentioned but the best antidote to sleep is being truly interested in what you are doing.

Haybrant said:
sorry if it's already been mentioned but the best antidote to sleep is being truly interested in what you are doing.

ehhh I don't buy this - there are plenty of times when I'm incredibly interested... but just end up going to sleep in my reading chair

sunkyu said:

Nope.

Haybrant said:
Unless you're having sex, odds are that you won't be interested enough in anything to evade sleep forever. Even then.....

Haybrant said:
yea well you don't always get to choose what you're being tested on the next day, so it rarely works consistently :thumbdown:

People have suggested 200mg caffiene tablets. How much caffiene does a cup of coffee have in it anyway? Also, isn't the problem with caffiene that you come down an hour or two later?

A physician once told me that a 15 minute nap--if you can get one--can be effective during long nights on call.

This probably sounds totally random but I sniff peppermint to stay awake. I swear it really does work. I have this little bottle of peppermint extract that I bought at an alternative medicine shop. I keep the peppermint extract in my backpack and whenever I get tired from studying, and sometimes before class, I will sneak a sniff of peppermint. It's very refreshing! I don't think it works as well as caffeine in the long run, but in the short run it will keep you up for a while and doesn't give you those caffeine jitters.

Talk to your doctor and tell him you have ADD, a little ritalin goes a long way :eek: ... what were we talking about again? :laugh: Really I think coffee works and so do mind games. If I just can't concentrate I picture myself at graduation from medical school getting my M.D. and if that doesn't perk me up then I imagine getting laughed at by the ADCOM at my interview telling me that my scores are weak and I should consider being a P.A. It's amazing what a little adrenaline can do for you.

RaistlinMajere said:
People have suggested 200mg caffiene tablets. How much caffiene does a cup of coffee have in it anyway? Also, isn't the problem with caffiene that you come down an hour or two later?

A physician once told me that a 15 minute nap--if you can get one--can be effective during long nights on call.

You can usually ride a caffeine tablet for 3 to 5 hours, but then yes, you do crash hard and feel much more tired than you began. That's why Kaplan et al dissuade use of caffeine for the MCATs. I believe coffee has a slightly lower amount of caffeine per cup.

Law2Doc said:
Yeah, Vivarin and NoDoz work great, but if you over do it they can give you ulcers and irregular rapid heart beat. You are probably better off with softdrinks if you don't like coffee. Mountain Dew has a ton of caffeine for a soda.

I once overdosed on NoDoze years ago. Since caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, my arms and legs would fall asleep at random points during the day. My body had terrible shakes, too. Stay away from caffeine products. Instead, drink lots of water, eat pasta, and take frequent breaks in which you walk or run for just a few minutes.

skoaner said:
in whiney voice "How can you be such a jerk? There are millions of people out there addicted to substances and who are you to make light of their plight?"

Kidding about using drugs though, seriously..

Last edited:
If I'm fighting the urge to fall asleep while studying, I'll usually give into it and take a 15-20 minute nap. I find this usually gives me the energy I need to keep my eyes open. I have to set the alarm clock on my cell though, or else I'd never wake up some days...

I actually read somewhere that of all the drinks (sodas, etc.) green tea is one of the worst for your teeth enamel.

sunkyu said:

SO true. I used to study late and get up early, basically getting no sleep at all, and this put a pretty ugly mark on my transcript.

RunMimi said:
Oh and I forgot one other thing. When I have pull all-nighters, I call my parents. They live 8 time zones ahead of me, so when its early morning and I just want to sleep real bad, I call them and its noonish there. I make them tell me to keep going :) They invariably send me a teddy bear or something sweet the next day to make me feel better.

Aww that's so sweet of them! haha.. yeah I'm sure calling people (esp. encouraging parents) EIGHT time zones ahead is a definite help! I try my best to go to sleep by 10 and wake up at five in the morning.. And for cutting people off while they're talking- I'm assuming this is on AIM or on the phone? Because you're not alone on that one- I do the same! :)

Bawls is my preferred caffeine source. 80mg of caffeine, tastes like sprite, nothing foul like red bull. The only problem is that only a few stores carry it, eve here in New York

skoaner said:
in whiney voice "How can you be such a jerk? There are millions of people out there addicted to substances and who are you to make light of their plight?"

If a comment like that seriously irritates you then you must get pissed off an abnormal amount throughout life. Keep your blood pressure down and worry about the bigger issues in life that have relevance to the bigger picture.

....a hundred bucks says you're an ultra-lib.

Nothing compares to red bull. A lot of times I will get the diet one since it's sugar free and won't give a crash. Seriously though, red bull is different than its 80mg of caffeine. It has another ingredient that other energy drinks don't have that was alleged to be a vietnam war era drug that causes brain tumors. The brain tumor rumor was debunked and even the legitamacy of the chemical has no hard scientific evidence. However, I have had many an energy drink and monsters, blue ox's, amps, none of them do what a red bull does.

PostalWookie said:
Bawls is my preferred caffeine source. 80mg of caffeine, tastes like sprite, nothing foul like red bull. The only problem is that only a few stores carry it, eve here in New York

Order it online at www.thinkgeek.com!!

PuKcAo said:
If a comment like that seriously irritates you then you must get pissed off an abnormal amount throughout life. Keep your blood pressure down and worry about the bigger issues in life that have relevance to the bigger picture.

....a hundred bucks says you're an ultra-lib.

You did notice that it was a comment on his own post, right...?

Personally, I thought it was kinda funny. :)