How to Study for Bio Section in PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay04002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Future Pharacists....
I am going to take the PCAT in October of 2006 and was wondering if someone can help me out here....i do not know how to prepare for the BIO section of the PCAT...I bought the Kaplan book but is it enough?? i also bough the TopScore for PCAT too, but any suggestions on how to maximize my chances of doing well in bio section??? should i read the Biology book? if yes wat are the major sections that i should focus most up on???
thank you very much for your help
best regards
jay

Members don't see this ad.

jay04002 said:
Hello Future Pharacists....
I am going to take the PCAT in October of 2006 and was wondering if someone can help me out here....i do not know how to prepare for the BIO section of the PCAT...I bought the Kaplan book but is it enough?? i also bough the TopScore for PCAT too, but any suggestions on how to maximize my chances of doing well in bio section??? should i read the Biology book? if yes wat are the major sections that i should focus most up on???
thank you very much for your help
best regards
jay

As far as i am concerned the KAPLAN book is very comprehenzive and thus very good. Just go through the whole bio section. Depending on your previous bio knowledge, you might just need to refresh.
I have had pretty much all my bios (micro, bio1 and bio 2) 'cept A&P so i am trying to concentrate on the area i am not too familiar with.

If you take Bio 1 and 2 you should do fine. Another course that would help you tremendously is Evolution & Ecolology. They had some evolution questions on the PCAT. Make sure you know how to do the punnet square. For example the 9:3:3:1 ratio or maybe the 4:4:4:4 ratio. If you are stuck on a bio question circle it and return to it later. When you mark on the scantron, only do it after the you answered all of the questions on that particular page (save you time for moving your pencil back and forth).

Hey Bro thanx for the reply...i am really thankful...its good to learn from other people who have experience....but i still got few questions...u said i should be good if i took bio 1 and 2 but tell u the truth i took bio 1 but not 2 and i dont remember much from bio 1 either becasue i took it like a year ago...so wat should i do, read the whole bio 1 book again or some portion or some concepts from that book that are important and should know very well??? do u know any thing about that???
and one more thing, for PCAT which type of exam is good??? paper based or on computer???
thanx man
best regards
jay

Members don't see this ad :)
I just reviewed my notes from general biology and A&P. The bio section of the PCAT is pretty general. If you did well in those classes then the PCAT won't give you too much grief. Remember to disqualify obviously wrong choices. And if you find yourself thinking about a question for too long, then move on and come back to it.

I paid for the practice exam from Harcourt and I thought it was money well spent. The questions on it gave me a good idea of what to expect and what I needed to spend some extra time reviewing.

I took the paper test and it was cool - just make sure that you mark the right place on the scantron. I know that screws some people up.

Good luck.

jay04002 said:
Hey Bro thanx for the reply...i am really thankful...its good to learn from other people who have experience....but i still got few questions...u said i should be good if i took bio 1 and 2 but tell u the truth i took bio 1 but not 2 and i dont remember much from bio 1 either becasue i took it like a year ago...so wat should i do, read the whole bio 1 book again or some portion or some concepts from that book that are important and should know very well??? do u know any thing about that???
and one more thing, for PCAT which type of exam is good??? paper based or on computer???
thanx man
best regards
jay

When I took the PCAT they didn't have the option of paper or computer. I think paper test is easier b/c you can mark on it (especially on the reading comprehesion). I think Kaplan Review is good, but it doesn't cover all of the topics. I would recommend other reviews such as: Baron's and etc. If you have time read as much as you can from those reviews.

I would wait until I have taken Bio 2 to take the PCAT. Like I have said Evolution and Ecology is a plus. Questions on the PCAT aren't terribly detail, but sometimes you can get the answers by deduction. You never know the answers are somewhere behind your head.

In Arizona Bio 1 is miosis mitosis and bio 2 is evolution. I did not take bio 182 before taking the pcat but did take microbiology. This only haelped because I never really learned miosis and mitosis phases and the micro helped me answer other questions to augment my score that was probably lowered due to not knowing if prophase was after metaphase.

kynsik said:
In Arizona Bio 1 is miosis mitosis and bio 2 is evolution. I did not take bio 182 before taking the pcat but did take microbiology. This only haelped because I never really learned miosis and mitosis phases and the micro helped me answer other questions to augment my score that was probably lowered due to not knowing if prophase was after metaphase.

I believe the acronym is PMAT. Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, and Telephase.