how to study for math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PistonFan531

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the kaplan PCAT book and it does a terrible job covering math. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what other books to look at for math?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of all the books that I went through, I didn't find a single book that adequately prepared me for the math section. I pretty much had to guess on all the calculus problems because they ate up too much of my time.

I think Kaplan does a great job...why are there so many Kaplan haters on here???

Members don't see this ad :)
The only efficient way to studying math is to do lots of practice problems. The PCAT problems are relatively basic (algebra, precal, and calculus) so the only thing you should worry about is working out problems under timed conditions.

Thanks for your opinion guys.

BTW, is it a big deal if I do not take a Statistics class before taking the PCAT or is it just easy to learn on my own?

There are NO trig and geometry on the math section right? or am I wrong? thanks.

The stuff in the Laplan book for math is all you really need, they did an awesome job actually. I didn't take any of the kaplan courses, I just bought the book and read it form cover to cover. Result: 91st percentile in math. If you're comfortable in math, don't waste your money on courses. If you're shaky or haven't had calc, then go ahead and get the courses and plenty of study aides.

I actually used a text book to study Calc and trig as compared to the Kaplan book.

Using this method, my Quant score jumped 40 points, no lie.

i bought a used "calculus for dummies" book!! hilarious i know, but i did that for organic too (it had been a while since i took the classes in school) and they really helped me in both subjects (made a 93 in quant and 94 in chemistry). plus doing a LOT of practice problems helps. i practiced going as fast as i could over and over again, learning to guess right away and move on with the questions that would take too long to figure out or that i wasn't sure i knew exactly how to do.

I think the only way you will get a good score in the Math portion is by practicing, you need to do as many problems as you can. In my opinion if you actually spend like 2 hours everday in math. I think you would pick up quick. You need to cover Algebra, Calculus. But you have to focus and not be disturbed for any reason. The Kaplan book might not cove EVERY thing, but if you study from there then I think that you will get a good score. PRACTICE makes PERFECT!

I think the only way you will get a good score in the Quan portion is by practicing, you need to do as many problems as you can. In my opinion if you actually spend like 2 hours everday in math. I think you would pick up quick. You need to cover Algebra, Calculus. But you have to focus and not be disturbed for any reason. The Kaplan book might not cove EVERY thing, but if you study from there then I think that you will get a good score. PRACTICE makes PERFECT!