How to study...more efficiently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GomerPyle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

MS1 here. I was hoping you guys can share with me how you study each night. When it comes down to test time, I really cram hard, but throughout the week when I want to study, I get distracted easily by either facebook or watching youtube videos. How do you guys devote your entire focus to studying long hours? Do I need to set strict study times where I don't look at anything else, with 20 or 30 minute breaks in between?

Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't look at facebook or youtube
I come here a lot and pretend that it's medically related. Or I watch something something like house or scrubs

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

MS1 here. I was hoping you guys can share with me how you study each night. When it comes down to test time, I really cram hard, but throughout the week when I want to study, I get distracted easily by either facebook or watching youtube videos. How do you guys devote your entire focus to studying long hours? Do I need to set strict study times where I don't look at anything else, with 20 or 30 minute breaks in between?

Thx!
Someone mentioned an app that can block those websites while you're studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I just instantly go on my browser and look up news...do you guys have set times that you devote yourself to studying? How long are your breaks?

Try group study. Preferably with good looking, funny people.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes I just instantly go on my browser and look up news...?

Same.

I don't know of a way around this. Cram time = 10/10 productivity. Other times = max 7/10 productivity.

Strangely, I've found that studying with a couple friends as well as one other person whom I don't know very well is the best way for me. That way, you don't get off track on silly friend conversations because of the rando presence but still maintain peer-pressure studying!

Hi all,

Thx!

Talk to a therapist about you being easily distracted, there are medicines that can help you focus. You may legit need them.

Internet is a huge distraction, I use both https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/block-site/eiimnmioipafcokbfikbljfdeojpcgbh and https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/website-blocker-beta/hclgegipaehbigmbhdpfapmjadbaldib to block news sites, and https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rescuetime-for-chrome-chr/bdakmnplckeopfghnlpocafcepegjeap to check what I actually do on my computer (it tracks time spent on applications and websites, but at the cost of privacy...).

As of learning itself, have you tried incremental reading and flashcards? It gives me enough variety by jumping through unrelated subjects so it keeps me stimulated, feels like channel zapping on telly.

Hi all,

Thx!

deactivate social media
stay away from sdn

fear is what kept me motivated to study nonstop in dental school. bc there were people failing things and failing out and getting put on remediation left and right. i went to a sort of ruthless school known for that stuff. so yeah. the fear of ****ing up(and royally pissing off my parents)

I started as a C student doing 16-20 hours of studying per day at the beginning of MS1, to an A student doing 4-6 per day in second semester MS1. The following are some of my thoughts about how I made this transition.

Many of the details might be completely different, person-to-person, but I believe the following two basic ideas to efficient studying are central:

1. Artificially restrict your study time, so that you squeeze the most, hour-for-hour, out of your study time.
2. Find a study strategy that works.

First, I artificially limit the amount of time that I study. I do a lot of cooking, exercise, listening to audiobooks, and talking to the wife--and I don't allow myself to study all day.

So when it gets to study time, I am in berserk mode. As a result, I know that the most is made of my time, so I am happier and more efficient in all areas.

I didn't cut back study time until I was doing well in my classes and felt that I could experiment. Before I was doing well in my classes, I studied all day, pretty inefficiently, until things stuck and I "figured med school out". During this time, I played a fair amount of videogames to make up for constant burnout, and I complained a great deal to my wife.

But after I started doing well enough, I started to cut back on studying intentionally and do other things, and then focus on making more of my time in all areas. Now, I don't play any videogames at all, and I have plenty of distraction in meaningful life activities so that I don't need them.

I think what the set the stage for me was finding an efficient study strategy and following it; this step sets the foundation for being more efficient with study time; without it, you are not asking the right question. Once you find success with a way that gets you the results that you want, you can cut back the study time--and execute the study strategy more efficiently.

So the key thing, before trying to solve any other problem, is putting together a solid study strategy. Therefore, I will tell you my own.

The study strategy that works for me, being a little bit inattentive (okay, very inattentive), is making sure I am always covering new material and seeing new things and being excited. So, rather than follow the lecture schedule, one by one, making sure I understand each lecture before I move on, I cover the entire two weeks of material going up to the exam, rapidly, several times, in phases:

1. I will read and study all lecture slides, within a relatively short period of time (1-3 days).
2. Then, I will watch all or most of the lectures (1-3 days).
3. Then, ideally, I will read the book, again, for the entire period covered by the exam.
4. Finally, during the last few days leading up to the exam, I will do practice problems and review the slides and consolidate and synthesize all of the information. The day leading up to the exam, I will do this with a buddy to fill in gaps in my knowledge.

There are two basic concepts behind this study strategy.

First, avoiding monotony and panic. Going over the same concept over and over again until you understand it thoroughly is monotonous, and if you are not understanding it quickly, given the quantity of other material that you know you must master, it is panic-inducing and demoralizing. You want to avoid monotony and its partner panic at all costs. It will shred your study efficiency.

Avoiding these things means going over material, trying to understand concepts, but allowing yourself to move on if you don't. You will have another chance to understand it. Once you go over it once, even if you don't understand it, you are familiar with it. This familiarity will aid in your second attempt at understanding--not to mention, your second attempt at understanding will be assisted with, likely, a better source and/or way of explaining things.

In essence, medical school is not rocket science. If you aren't understanding something, it is not your fault. Move on and have faith that things will click. Most things will. Once you embrace this basic idea, you will be happier and more effective, and distractability will play a much smaller role in your struggles.

The second principle. Getting ahead. I think one of the big ways that my study strategy seems to work is that I am always feeling like I am setting my own pace, and I am frequently feeling ahead--and as a result, not "trapped" or "compelled" by the material or curriculum. I set my own pace, which means that I can embrace what I am doing, and when I embrace what I am doing, I do it better. Setting your own pace, you feel like you are dominating, going faster than the material itself, rather than being crushed by its onslaught. The psychological advantage here can be enormous. As nerdy as it sounds, this makes studying exciting for me. This psychological sense of excitement is crucial to making my study sessions efficient, and I manipulate the presentation of the material to myself in whatever way I can to elicit this feeling.

As a related side-note, which demonstrates this principle a bit more clearly. If I get behind, I leap frog. Again, the last thing you want to feel is that you are in a terrifying state of catchup--and you might not make it. Instead, leap ahead, skip some of the earlier lectures to pull ahead, and once you have pulled ahead, go back through older stuff. This will change your psychological frame dramatically and make studying more effective and again, less prone to demoralization and distraction.

Although admittedly, the details about study strategy may be quite different person-to-person, I believe that the following two basic points, to repeat, and the above reasoning behind them, should apply to virtually everyone:

1. Artificially restrict your study time, so that you squeeze the most, hour-for-hour, out of your study time.

If I were to add a third point, it would be that you should find a way to study that makes the material exciting, fresh, and not demoralizing. I have presented my own method here, and I hope at least some of what I have written will be of use to somebody.

Reactions: 30 users
I started as a C student doing 16-20 hours of studying per day at the beginning of MS1, to an A student doing 4-6 per day in second semester MS1. The following are some of my thoughts about how I made this transition.

Many of the details might be completely different, person-to-person, but I believe the following two basic ideas to efficient studying are central:

First, I artificially limit the amount of time that I study. I do a lot of cooking, exercise, listening to audiobooks, and talking to the wife--and I don't allow myself to study all day.

So when it gets to study time, I am in berserk mode. As a result, I know that the most is made of my time, so I am happier and more efficient in all areas.

I didn't cut back study time until I was doing well in my classes and felt that I could experiment. Before I was doing well in my classes, I studied all day, pretty inefficiently, until things stuck and I "figured med school out". During this time, I played a fair amount of videogames to make up for constant burnout, and I complained a great deal to my wife.

But after I started doing well enough, I started to cut back on studying intentionally and do other things, and then focus on making more of my time in all areas. Now, I don't play any videogames at all, and I have plenty of distraction in meaningful life activities so that I don't need them.

I think what the set the stage for me was finding an efficient study strategy and following it; this step sets the foundation for being more efficient with study time; without it, you are not asking the right question. Once you find success with a way that gets you the results that you want, you can cut back the study time--and execute the study strategy more efficiently.

So the key thing, before trying to solve any other problem, is putting together a solid study strategy. Therefore, I will tell you my own.

The study strategy that works for me, being a little bit inattentive (okay, very inattentive), is making sure I am always covering new material and seeing new things and being excited. So, rather than follow the lecture schedule, one by one, making sure I understand each lecture before I move on, I cover the entire two weeks of material going up to the exam, rapidly, several times, in phases:

1. I will read and study all lecture slides, within a relatively short period of time (1-3 days).
2. Then, I will watch all or most of the lectures (1-3 days).
3. Then, ideally, I will read the book, again, for the entire period covered by the exam.
4. Finally, during the last few days leading up to the exam, I will do practice problems and review the slides and consolidate and synthesize all of the information. The day leading up to the exam, I will do this with a buddy to fill in gaps in my knowledge.

There are two basic concepts behind this study strategy.

First, avoiding monotony and panic. Going over the same concept over and over again until you understand it thoroughly is monotonous, and if you are not understanding it quickly, given the quantity of other material that you know you must master, it is panic-inducing and demoralizing. You want to avoid monotony and its partner panic at all costs. It will shred your study efficiency.

Avoiding these things means going over material, trying to understand concepts, but allowing yourself to move on if you don't. You will have another chance to understand it. Once you go over it once, even if you don't understand it, you are familiar with it. This familiarity will aid in your second attempt at understanding--not to mention, your second attempt at understanding will be assisted with, likely, a better source and/or way of explaining things.

In essence, medical school is not rocket science. If you aren't understanding something, it is not your fault. Move on and have faith that things will click. Most things will. Once you embrace this basic idea, you will be happier and more effective, and distractability will play a much smaller role in your struggles.

The second principle. Getting ahead. I think one of the big ways that my study strategy seems to work is that I am always feeling like I am setting my own pace, and I am frequently feeling ahead--and as a result, not "trapped" or "compelled" by the material or curriculum. I set my own pace, which means that I can embrace what I am doing, and when I embrace what I am doing, I do it better. Setting your own pace, you feel like you are dominating, going faster than the material itself, rather than being crushed by its onslaught. The psychological advantage here can be enormous. As nerdy as it sounds, this makes studying exciting for me. This psychological sense of excitement is crucial to making my study sessions efficient, and I manipulate the presentation of the material to myself in whatever way I can to elicit this feeling.

As a related side-note, which demonstrates this principle a bit more clearly. If I get behind, I leap frog. Again, the last thing you want to feel is that you are in a terrifying state of catchup--and you might not make it. Instead, leap ahead, skip some of the earlier lectures to pull ahead, and once you have pulled ahead, go back through older stuff. This will change your psychological frame dramatically and make studying more effective and again, less prone to demoralization and distraction.

Although admittedly, the details about study strategy may be quite different person-to-person, I believe that the following two basic points, to repeat, and the above reasoning behind them, should apply to virtually everyone:

If I were to add a third point, it would be that you should find a way to study that makes the material exciting, fresh, and not demoralizing. I have presented my own method here, and I hope at least some of what I have written will be of use to somebody.

Jesus...what a post. Thanks for your insight!

Reactions: 1 user
It may help you to schedule breaks in your day (for YouTube, Facebook, etc.) so you can focus during other times. Look up the Pomodoro technique.

I would print out kevinbass's post above as it absolutely hits the nail on the head. While everyone finds their own personal ways to doing things, that's an awfully nice framework to start with and covers what I think is the absolute non-negotiable necessity of med school study: repetition.

I also loved the line about not worrying if you don't understand something; press on and trust that it will make sense eventually. Can't stress this one enough. So much of this stuff is integrated across disciplines and seeing the big picture takes time no matter how good the teachers are. Making this mental switch is really what makes it possible to artificially restrict your study time. You give yourself set times and set material to cover and you just cover it. If you don't quite understand it all, well, you'll understand during a future pass through it.

Things I would add would be:
1) Get plugged in with your school's tutoring service. Usually these are upperclassmen who recently took your exams and can really help you focus your study and make sure you're picking up most of the testable points. Ditto for any faculty review sessions - make sure to take advantage of these when you can as they will generally drop hints about what's highly testable as well as help tie things together for you.

2) Add in some group session if you aren't already. Find some people who are around your same level of intensity and go through stuff together. Not only do these sessions give you more passes through the material and keep you focused, but all the people will have heard different things trickle down through the grapevine and you will likely pick up additional tips about what's tested and how it's tested.

Reactions: 1 users
I took a med school study skills course that saved me. If you want info on it, send me a message.

I use the Cold Turkey program to shut down any websites that I frequent when it's time to hit it hard. Just removing the temptation to do something else increases my productivity by a lot.

I use the Cold Turkey program to shut down any websites that I frequent when it's time to hit it hard. Just removing the temptation to do something else increases my productivity by a lot.
I used a program called "self control" that sounds like it did the same thing. I found that helpful.

I also refused to let myself go on any social media for an entire week leading up to test day.

I used a program called "self control" that sounds like it did the same thing. I found that helpful.

I also refused to let myself go on any social media for an entire week leading up to test day.

Haha, I should start doing that. The internet withdrawal is real.

These are a few of the things that I do:

Find something to do with my break time that does not involve staring at a screen. I go for a walk, play frisbee, juggle, meditate, whatever, just anything except staring at a screen/book.

Print out my study materials and read them off of a paper page. This makes a huge difference in eye strain/tempting distractions a mouse click away.

Limit the amount of hours I spend studying each day, just get it done in the time I allot.

And I get involved with study groups just to stay on task.

Best of luck!