How to talk about research that probably should have been IRB reviewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stheg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I completed a senior research capstone to graduate. It isn't particularly related to clinical psychology, but it's the extent of my research experience. I acted as a consultant and interviewed a business owner and some of his employees and prepared a report on how the business owner might manage his employees better, engage and motivate them, and manage effectively across generational lines. My research advisor never indicated I might need to send this information on to the IRB and I stupidly never thought about it. Any idea how I should discuss this experience in my graduate applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding your post, but I'm not sure graduate admissions or interviewers would ask you whether the research you conducted was IRB approved (as that's usually assumed to be a prerequisite). Well, unless you were doing something really weird that is likely to cause more harm than good.

I'd be concerned with the type of research experience and making it relevant to the sort of programs you're applying to (especially if they're clinical psychology).

How is this research?

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, this sounds more like consulting work and doesn't really seem like there is a research component.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. I think the bigger question is whether you can even call this research experience. Its not really anything like what programs will want to see. I usually think it looks worse when applicants try and claim they have experience in something they don't versus just being upfront about it. That said, admission with no research experience is extremely rare. I might advise taking time off to get that experience is the better way to go, but obviously I don't have much to base that off right now.

From what you've said, I actually don't think this would need an IRB review. Obviously I don't have all the details so can't say for sure, but I don't see any reason why it would.

Reactions: 3 users
So I completed a senior research capstone to graduate. It isn't particularly related to clinical psychology, but it's the extent of my research experience. I acted as a consultant and interviewed a business owner and some of his employees and prepared a report on how the business owner might manage his employees better, engage and motivate them, and manage effectively across generational lines. My research advisor never indicated I might need to send this information on to the IRB and I stupidly never thought about it. Any idea how I should discuss this experience in my graduate applications?

Uh, what experience/authority did you have in this area anyway?

I cant imagine one would be open to suggestions about such serious matters from a psych undergrad with limited, or like zero, real world business experience. I'm curious if he threw your report in the trash, or if he actually implemented your suggestions?

Last edited:
Uh, what experience/authority did you have in this area anyway?

I cant imagine one would be open to suggestions about such serious matters from a psych undergrad with limited, or like zero, real world business experience. I'm curious if he threw your report in the trash, or if he actually implemented your suggestions?
I’m thinking it was probably for the family business. Sounds like a good school project and I had a few similar types of experiences during undergrad. Never put any of it on my CV though. For example, I remember doing a survey of college students attitudes toward gender role as part of a class project once. Unfortunately, a lot of undergrad education in psychology neglects to explain what real research really is.

Anything that is "research" will require IRB approval - just going through the motions even if it is archival data or something that is exempt - still needs to get that stamp of approval.

This sounds like program evaluation. That's fine if it is used internally and isn't for "generalizable knowledge" in the sense that it is ever published or presented publicly.

Reactions: 1 users