How to tell if a program has a strong IR section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRGuru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a thread in the Rads forum titled what to look for in a radiology residency program. I was hoping this could be the IR version of that thread. Can anyone comment on what medical students and prospective residents should look for in a program to determine how strong their IR section is? For example, is IR having its own service almost a requirement and is it an implicit indication of how strong IR is at that institution? Is an independent service common in most places that are classically considered strong in IR (e.g. UVA, Hopkins, Northwestern) or is this still relatively rare? I ask because as I was looking into programs, I saw that a program like Virginia Commonwealth U. that has it's own service, NP's, clinic space but I never hear it mentioned along with the top tier IR programs. Why is this so? Since there is obviously no form put out by programs that delineates how many high-end procedures they do, what other considerations are important in determining if an IR program is healthy?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, there is really no great way to tell if a place has a strong IR program.

I would see how busy the IR admitting practice is? none, 0-5 patients a week, 5-10, 10 or greater etc.

Do, the IRs have clinic and if so , I would see how many clinic patients the IR doctors are seeing a week. Do, they have longitudinal clinic?

Then what is the depth and breadth of IR cases. Vascular/oncology/neuro-interventional/pain etc.

How many procedures do the residents graduate with and how many are they primary on? Also, what is the quality of the procedures residents are doing?

Alot of times in IR there is a huge difference and this may affect 4 years of your training significantly.

Do, the IR perform consutations first before doing a procedure or are they still taking orders for invasive procedures like a chest x ray.

we are hoping to list programs that are strong in IR on this site and others to help students looking for this information.

The best thing to do maybe to ask residents during your residency interviews about their IR experience and the strengths/weaknesses of their programs. After you have secured an interview, you may be able to contact a program and ge the email address of current residents that you could ask these questions to. That way you would have an idea prior to interviewing. I did this on several occasions and it was quite helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other problem, however, is that there are plenty of places around the country where residents and attendings alike are not really thinking about the future of IR.

If you want good IR training, you have to go to a program with an extremely strong clinical attitude. That means inpatient service, rounding, outpatient clinics, mid-level practitioners and infrastructure to fill in the gaps, etc. This is a MUST. This truly is the future of IR.

That being said, talking to residents and attendings at a particular program about these issues is probably the best thing to do. They will give you insight into their thoughts and mindset. You will be able to tell if they just complete what was ordered by a primary service versus if they are truly embodying the mindset of a clinician. In effect you need to interview them.

Additionally, you will run into IR attendings who don't have the smae mindset and may even discourage it. Don't let it affect you and your resolve.

I think it is hard to gauge how strong an IR program is based on a single interview day. Everyone says they have strong IR programs. Everyone says they do the latest and greatest procedures. What sets programs apart is their clinical approach to a case with an emphasis on the preclinical work up and postprocedural follow up and care. Look for places that teach not only how to do the case, but more importantly, when to not do a case.

I personally looked for a place where there are daily AM rounds with all the attendings, a place where you really get to take ownership of your patient, and a place with a clnical approach to IR as opposed to simply a procedural approach.

Ask the residents who are interested in IR, would they stay there or do they want to go elsewhere. You'll learn a lot from their responses!